3x2 (tri-power) air cleaner.

Anyone have any experiences buying a 3x2 air cleaner for your car. Prices vary by quite alot.
Show cars have some U.S.A. made for $979 and also foreign made for $679. On ebay they list some with minor blemishes also foreign made for $550. Are these anything like the originals or just cheap foreign junk. My 60 impala is not perfect (real nice ) and a driver but for that kind of money I would like something nice. Thanks everyone.

61 tripps

Well Known Member
I bought 3 individual chrome air cleaners from Show Cars. Price ok and I like the look. I realize the loss in horse power, but it depends on your use of the car. My purpose is local on NJ streets, with traffic and lights.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not to steal his thread, but what are some good non-GM tripower air cleaner options that show off your individual carbs and perform well in terms of not robbing power? Not like the chrome pots I've already got mounted :(; It's the 348 engine in the back row on the RH side.

Sorry purists, I appreciate the originality choice, but I just don't like the look of the factory tripower intake since it covers everything up that I want to show case :).

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• 015A.jpg
    015A.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have an original style air cleaner, although it does cover up the carbs, it's a bit like a dress that covers just the top of the knees, it gets you wondering!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have seen a couple of original 59-61 3X2 air cleaners the last few years at the Portland Swap Meet and they were priced at 550.00 and then some reproduction ones at the same swap meet for 350.00 and they were nice too. The reproductions that Show Cars sell are nice as well but a lot pricier.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I made this for my 3x2.

engineout2012002.jpg

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought 3 individual chrome air cleaners from Show Cars. Price ok and I like the look. I realize the loss in horse power, but it depends on your use of the car. My purpose is local on NJ streets, with traffic and lights.

I think K&N makes high flow air filters that fit.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Back to the original question, I've bought two stock 409 air cleaners from Show Cars and I felt that if it had not had the Show
Cars logo stamped in it you could not have told it from a stock Chevrolet air breather. Buy the Show Cars breather, you won't be sorry or that's my opinion.