4-door Inner Rocker Panels

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does anyone make 4-door inner rocker panels?

I'm assuming the 4-door and the station wagon are the same. Or can I use a 2-door inner rocker panel if someone makes them?

Already checked the search area in the site.

Already have new outers so thats covered.

Dave

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Dave

the inter rockers are all the same from model to model. there are more floor braces and located in different places on same models. on some models there are extra half or full length braces inside of the rockers. on the convertables there are two heavy braces inside the rockers, one full length and one half length. also there's a V shaped full length brace welded on the bottom of the rockers on the convertables. hope this wasn't to confuseing. YES they are available. i have been buying them off of Gary Harmon at Restoration World here in Ohio.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Take a look

It's hard for me to describe properly, but if you do order replacement inners, take a good look at your factory inners when you cut them out and cojmpare the two. If I'm not mistaken, there is an extra piece that lays diagonally inside the inner rocker that does not come with the replacement piece.

Can somebody explain this better, or perhaps confirm this? This is what I found when I started to cut up my 1962 BA sport coupe. So I made some of these diagonal pieces out of flat stock. Haven't put anything back together, and it's been while, but pretty sure that's what I was dealing with.

I bought Harmons's pieces as well, great service and prices (IMHO). Oops, I just noticed Gearhead just referred to this section, maybe it's only on some of them?

Good luck! And take pics!

TomK

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tom Dave

none of the inside braces are available. if your car has them you will have to make them. i have made them for the convertables, very tuff job, but the non convert braces are not hard to make. you could have them made up at a fab. shop. i use one here locally, Holdren Brothers Inc West Liberty, Ohio

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had to have the internal pieces bent up also...does everyone put these back, or do some folks leave them out?

BTW, I got everything else I needed from Sherman and it is working out well.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
i wouldn't leave them out, they are there for a reason. if your car has them, put them back in. this would really be a no no on the ragtops.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't remember where I got these but I thought they were from one of our European members here. He was replacing the floors and rockers in his 61 and doing some very nice fab work.

Attachments

• Bild 366.jpg
    Bild 366.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 66
  • RockerReinf01.jpg
    RockerReinf01.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Rockersketch06.JPG
    Rockersketch06.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 86

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Those inner reinforcements are tough to do as they are spot welded to the lower part of the rocker panel. I bought my inner rockers from CARS. The panels I got were made in Canada. They were good quality. Had to do some trimming on the lower edge but otherwise fit and look correct.
Ross

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Cecil

i remember this mans post, he could come work for me anytime. the front of his outer rocker is all hand made, it doesn't come with the new rockers. this one is for a 61-62. 63-64 are different.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's it!

Cecil, your picture is worth a thousand words :). That's what I was talking about, the inner reinforcement pieces. I bent some up locally, but haven't had the opportunity to install them as yet. It does not look easy...

Plans are shaping up for me to cut another car up soon, will see if that has the inner pieces as well. Might only do sections of this one, depending on what we find. Is it possible to graft in the inners without messing up the exterior paint? I really don't want to repaint if I don't have to. This is the two door '62 Belair sedan I hope to make race ready for next season. Looks like she's gonna get the stroker engine transplant out of the SS car.

Cheers!
TomK

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Trying to cover all the bases before we start pulling his 62 wagon floors apart. Have new half floors up to the upper trunk floor & outer rockers panels already.

Will look into the cost from local metal fab shops for the inners using the print from Sven & Cecil.

Once again thanks to all.

Dave