4 post electric lift/storage unit

bobs409

Administrator
Does anyone here own one of those 4 post electric lifts that double as an extra garage space? (park a car under another)

I certainly don't want to jinx myself mentioning this so early but I'm considering building a 2 car garage if the "details" work out. (fingers crossed) If I do this, the plan is to make the one stall about 11' in height on the inside so that "one day" soon I could buy one of these lifts. (therby making a 2 car garage into 3 car) :brow

Just want to see what owners think of them if we have any here. Anything to look out for, etc, etc.

The cheapest I've found so far is listed on ebay at $1,699 and it's the closest to me (NY, 135 miles away) I see these priced up to $3,000 in catalogs too but they all look about the same. :dunno

Here is the one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280000812612&ih=018&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

I sure hope this crazy idea works out. My little 2 car garage may not compare to Tom's "manshed" but I'd be 100% happy.

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Bobs409 I have a 4 poster very similar to the one pictured in your post. I have
had it for 4 years without any trouble. It is used at least several times a week
and more. It has been used by many different cars. I first used it with a short ceiling height of 9' 4" but this was with my C5 Corvette with 4th gen Trans Am under, both cars with very low height. For the Impalas, you will need a minimum ceiling height of 11' as you suggest. Moving into a new house recently, I also built a seperate garage of 38x60 with a 10' ceiling except where the lift is situated. There I place scissor type cathedral trusses which raised the ceiling height in the middle to 13' 6".

In my opinion, the 4 poster is great for starage, cleaning and waxing, oil changing and transmission work. I want to get a 2 poster as you can do far more with it then the 4 poster but it requires more ceiling height. Good luck on what ever you choose.:)

Bob

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
4 Post hoist

Hey Bob
I've had a 4 post hoist for a while now and it is great.....:beerbang
Sometimes a little awkward to take wheels off but I bought a
couple small hand pump hydraulic jacks and so far no problems.....:brow

Now about what to look for...........:deal
Don't buy the cheapest, remember you get what you pay for...and especially
when YOU will be underneath this thing.
I researched a bunch of 'em and the Back Yard buddy was the best bang for the buck.
Unfortunately they banged me about $750. when I cancelled the order and all
they had to do was shift some paperwork.......:cuss
So be careful when you start paying out, ask about cancellation charges.

I ended up buying a Rotary lift and although it is one of the most expensive, this unit is a full blown shop lift............:cool:
I got the extended unit (to accomodate large pickups (duallies) and it lifts to 7'
and will handle 9000 lbs...............:D

This is the best investment I've ever made for working on the cars....it is amazing
everytime I'm working under it..........but now I have to buy a hard hat cause my
head is getting real sore..........:roll

here's a pic......that's my friend's son under it

Hope this helps
:cheers
bj

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. :cheers Still tire kicking when it comes to this so have time to decide.

Should know Monday if the garage idea is a go ahead or not. Did some planning and the garage will end up being 28' wide by 26 3/4' deep. Still working on the roof design yet.

Here is the pic you tried to post BJ.

Attachments

• Hoist3.jpg
    Hoist3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 56

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
I've got a "Backyard Buddy", real happy with it. They are expensive and they don't provide shipping as some companies do. I think the thing was about $3500 by the time I got it delivered. Probably one thing to consider is how many times you plan to run it up and down. In my case, I only use it for storage so the thing might go up and down once a month, I probably could have used a cheaper one.

Sorry I missed you at the GM Nationals, I unloaded the car on Friday and had it judged then put it back in the trailer. Weather was not good. Then, Saturday, they were saying 4 to 5 inches of rain so I never unloaded it. We walked around and looked until about 1 pm and left for home.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Tommy, I thought you had one.

I'm leaning toward the one I mentioned as I like the electric over pnuematic. I wouldn't use it severely either. I'd have to do the garage first so there is still time to shop yet.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you again at Carlisle. I was there on Friday but left early like 12:30 or so. It was TOO hot. :mad: I did look for you before I left but didn't see you.

I saw someone wearing a Chevytalk T-shirt but no idea who that was. (forgot to wear my 348-409.com shirt! :mad: )

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I didn't get to Carlisle until about noon so we probably crossed paths as you were leaving. Maybe next year

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
rotary lifts

Hi Bob, I sell Rotary lifts at my store as a sideline to help some of my garage accts. I could get one dropped shipped from Indiana to you for ten percent over my cost. They will bill me (shipping included) so you would have to prepay this transaction. Check out their products...........the SPOA9 has been very popular with my garage accts. Let me know if I can be of any help. Walt in VT:)

bobs409

Administrator
Walt, I will be sending you a PM later today about the lift. Thanks for the offer. :cheers I took the 66 Impala for a wheel alignment yesterday and guess what?? It was put up on a Rotary lift! I got to see it in person. Looks massive compared to pics on a website.

Just wanted to mention that the garage plan is a go ahead! Finally something goes right. LOL I'm in the process of getting the building permit but all will go through without any snags. (as of now)

Building should commence in about 2 weeks. Garage will be 28' wide by 27' deep. (2) 9X7 garage doors with an entry door in between them on the front. 2 windows on the side and 1 steel entry door on the back. Vinyl siding and asphalt shingles on a gable style roof. (hey, I got the plans down!)

My brother and I will be building it so labor will be low. Looking forward to this, always wanted a nice garage to work in. The one I have I recently knick named, "The black hole" as it has no windows, dirt floor and not much room. The new garage will be everything it isn't!

I can almost smell the fresh building supplies and concrete now! :D

Sum1sellmea409

Make sure the company pouring your slab knows you want to put a lift in, so they can get the right PSI and thickness. This is a big deal for a 2 post lift, maybe not so much for a 4 post, but never hurts to be safe in case you change your mind in the future. I think most garage slabs these days are sufficient, but make sure anyway. The lift manufacturer can tell you what you need.

Sum1sellmea409

I got my 2 post lift from www.asedeals.com . They carry Bend-Pak, which is just about the only manufacturer I could find that certifies all their lifts to American Lift Institute standards. I think Rotary was the only other company I was considering when all was said and done, but these guys seem to have unbeatable prices and free shipping (call them for an even better deal on pricing).

http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift.html

Lots of other good information on their site if you poke around.

With either Bend-Pak or Rotary you will be getting a professional grade lift rather than a "hobbiest" type lift.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks! I'm checking the site out now. Price isn't bad considering it's free shipping. :brow

I think you guys talked me into getting a "good" one. Once I got over the sticker shock, it's not so bad now. :D

Since I have 7 antiques, I'm sure I'll be putting it to use more than I originally thought so might as well get a good one.

I have plenty of time to decide though...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congrats!

Hey Bob, congrats on getting the green light on building the new space :).

I have a green light, just not the "green" to complete my project. I apparently have become something of a joke with the Protective Inspection guys down at the city, since I started my project something like 2 years ago and haven't completed it yet. Building permits around here "expire" in 12 months, and I've "re-upped" twice now :). Apparently there are people who actually complete projects on time around here... I spent all my framing and finishing dollars holding on to several mortgages last year, and now the prices for materials are even higher (almost 10% on some items). I bet you get yours done before I even get to start back up again!

Good luck with the construction, if I were in your neighborhood I'd stop by with my tools and pitch in. Free labor is always a good thing, a sweat equity sort of contribution. You are going to love your new space :) :) :).

When is the party?

Cheers!
TomK

bobs409

Administrator
Oh mine will be done as soon as I can get there! I've been waiting for this for a long time and can't wait to get going. I'm calling it a 40th birthday present to myself. Maybe it's a mid life crisis thing? :dunno :D

I guess I better hold off on the party for a while. At least until it has working lights. :)

I think I'll take lots of pics to document this event. Will be fun to look at in later years.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am not sure if this has been brought up yet or not, but this needs to be taken into consideration.

I know you have addressed the ceiling height, but also make sure you have enough clearance if there is a car stored on top, Will you have enough room for the garage door to open?? This is only relevant if you are using a traditional garage door. I thought about doing the lift thing but realized if I had a car on top raised up, there would be no way to open the garge door because the car would be in the way for the garage door to open.

Hopefully your garage plans won't need to deal with this issue.
My garage is 38' wide and 26' deep and is not nearly enough room.
Go as big as you can afford and then some. You will not regret it later.
Put in as many electrical outlets as you can, plan on some type of heating system now or for the future, Rough in anything that will make installing heating or cooling in the future easier. Gas lines electrical etc.....
Insulated garage doors, secure steel access door. Good lighting, Insulate and sheetrock right away, you don't want to move your stuff later on to do it. A little extra now will save you a lot of grief later.

No matter how big, it will not be enough later.
Have Fun, and good luck on your project.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good advise!

DropTop has a good point about ceiling heighth and square footage. Not everyone has the space to add a large building, especially in a residential area. But ceiling and door options are things you can control (except for the extra expense!). I'm trying to think long term, but constraints include $$$. Got lots of time, plenty of talent :) but still need to put the whole package together.

My wife said if I sold all my cars I could build the #$%^ thing now, but then what would I put in it? Methinks that's EXACTLY what she's thinking!!! Truth be known even if I did (and I won't) sell my toys I still wouldn't have enough cash to do the job! I did however think ahead and added a fence in front of the foundation to shelter it from view a bit. On the left of the first pic is the reason(s) why I ran out of cash. On the RH side is the 10 foot high foundation. One part of that ceiling will be 16 feet (that's where the big door will go, opening up to the lift).

Here's two pics that depict the current status of project.

Enjoy!
TomK

Attachments

• April 12 2006 Fencing at Coventry Pointe 003.jpg
    April 12 2006 Fencing at Coventry Pointe 003.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
  • April 12 2006 Fencing at Coventry Pointe 014.jpg
    April 12 2006 Fencing at Coventry Pointe 014.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The ceiling verses the overhead door shouldn't be a problem. I did the same thing, I have a 12' ceiling and a 9' tall overhead door. My door is just a few inches off the ceiling when it's up. You just have the people who install the door add an extension so the door goes up farther before it goes back.

One thing, if I was going to use a single or double post lift, I'd try to lay it out and pour the floor about 18" deep where the ankor bolts for the posts would be.

bobs409

Administrator
All good ideas. :cheers

I have taken the door into consideration. I found that I can buy "follow the roof line" track. It extends up, then goes out to follow the 4/12 pitch of my roof. (priced this at $127) Clopay makes it and I can get Lowes to order it for me.

I checked on the slab requirements for quite a few lifts and they all say to have a minimum of 4 inches of 3,000 psi concrete. I have planned to add a little extra in the area the posts will sit and will go with 3,500 psi concrete so should be no problems there.

With the size of the building I have planned now, there will be lots of room on the sides and front/back of both cars. I could go bigger but don't want this to get out of hand. (what I'd really like would have 10 garage doors on it!) :D

The insulation/interior walls will have to wait a while. I'll be doing that (and everything I can) by myself. Can't wait until that stage of the game.

Electrical will be done right and good lighting is a must! Heating... I suspect one day I'll go with a propane type wall heater??? Haven't really researched the heating system yet. (long way off!)

I will end up with a loft space over the one stall for storage. Since I only need 1 high stall, I'll take advantage of that space. The walls will be just over 10' high with a 4/12 pitched gable roof. (lift will be positioned in the center so height will not be a problem)

I think I planned about all of it so far. Guess there will be a few things pop up along the way.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions...

Sum1sellmea409

If you're just going to have mostly cars and toolboxes in there you can probably wait on the insulation, but if you're like me and save every little knick-knack you've come across in the past 30 years or so, you will really regret not adding the insulation or finishing the walls before you move all that junk in. When I moved into this place, I moved everything right into the barn so I could sort through it and work on stuff in the house unhindered. Guess where most of that stuff stayed? Not only that, but I keep adding to it. If I wanted to insulate my barn now, I would need another barn to move all the stuff into to get at the walls. :doh

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bobs409:

Interesting that they have a garage door track that will follow the roof line. I did some checking and it looks like you can mount an electric door opener on the rafters.

On a recent project we used a concrete mix with fiberglass strands in the mix. The fiberglass increases the mix to about 4,500 -5,000 psi.

Good luck with your project.

Mike