4 speed install question 63 etc.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From the assembly manual, it looks like you install the tunnel extension, then the rubber "seal" the shifter goes through. Then you screw the ring "retainer" to hold the "seal" down? If that is how it works, then you lower the carpet over the handle after cutting a hole in the right place in the carpet, diameter of hole 4.75 inches? The carpet fits in a groove in the seal?

This is my best guess so far, is this correct or is there a different sequence?

Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just to be clear, the "seal" referred to in the assembly manual is the shifter boot.

3630.jpg

4272.jpg

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is your car a bench seat 4 speed car? As boots are different for an ss. I would think you cut the hole in carpet but not bigger than the boot retainer then slip the boot down then the retainer and screw the retainer through the boot holes and through the carpet to the tunnel extension so carpet won't move and makes a positive seal. I could be wrong as my car is a ss but not much different as the lower is the same and upper just slips in the console.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine is a bench seat car. I got some advice from Verne Franz that the rubber and ring are screwed to the tunnel extension. No screws or ring should be visible with the bench seat car.

Don