400 SBC 378 De-stroked

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had to laugh the other day, my buddy wants me to make a de-stroked 400 SBC with my other good block and says it will make gobs of power. Now I know about these things but I do not like main bearing spacers and he says there are super thick main bearings to put the 350 crank right in the 400 block. Never heard of this and how trust worthy is it to do that? He says with the AFR 210 CNC head and one of my roller cams I can make 650hp with this. Wouldn't it just be easier to make a 406??

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
isn't the dz302 a 350 block with a 283 crank...I've heard that before but don't know...

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used a 327 large journal crank with a 327 rods and pistons 350 block and made a three 331 cid and turned it 8500/8700 no problem… never use the 400 block with thick bearings though…:dunno might be interesting to see….

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Once upon a time FM & TRW made thick wall bearings to directly install a 350 main journal crank into a 400 block. They were expensive at the time and what few times I saw it done it was with spacer bearings. The 302DZ for 67 was a small journal 2 bolt block, 68 was a large journal 2 .bolt block & 69 was a large journal 4 bolt block. I would probably go the other direction with a 400 block and use a 4" crank. 434 cubes. Did several, drag & circle track.

Last edited:

Clint

Well Known Member
My buddy built the 377 once for his race car. Hilborn injected. Said he lost a second off his time. Didn't stay in the car long.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I used a 327 large journal crank with a 327 rods and pistons 350 block and made a three 331 cid and turned it 8500/8700 no problem… never use the 400 block with thick bearings though…:dunno might be interesting to see….
My friend, Mark. did the same thing.:clapHad 2 Holley's on a Tunnel Ram. He had it in a 1963 Belair 4 door car. He was going for the Sleeper look, but as soon, as you pulled up along side of him, you Knew it was Scary Fast. He did a 7000 RPM Burnout, one night, and the Harmonic Balancer and Pulley flew off, and went into the woods. :dropTook an hour, to find it.:bang

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I never quite understood destroking unless it was to fit within a class or something. I guess it's fun to buzz up a lightweight short stroke combo but for just driving around, no thanks. OTOH, they sure sell a lot of stroker cranks. I'm with Murph on the 434, I'd like to have one!