400 sbc combos

floyd

Well Known Member
Years ago I put 350 heads with vent holes shaved down on a 400,ran liked a raped ape.Had to replace the rear tires every 3 months.

floyd

Well Known Member
As far as I have seen yes they will.Just use a small hole,use head gasket for template.Ive done all sbc heads except vortec.Mainly to prove to people it can be done.Now I dont have the money I use to,to play with.Call it a bucket list.

floyd

Well Known Member
My other project,sbc 305 block,vortec heads milled down to 55cc.Everyone tells me Im stupid,cant work.I tell them bbc 366 explain that,under 4" bore,3.76 stroke,bbc heads,mainly 396 heads.I know I have this motor,complete.

floyd

Well Known Member
The steam holes dont have to be angled,straight down works great.Hot rodders actually open these up a little more for better cooling.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I was speaking of aftermarket heads, and that is what I would use if I was building one. :brow

floyd

Well Known Member
You can.Stay stock vortec,why are you driving 6000 rpm?Vortec heads run great 3500 rpm all day long.Thats why when the autos down shift the rpms stay at 3500 rpms.Need more power?Add 1.6 ratio rocker arms on the intakes only with stock cam.With high compression,no need for high lift cam,just a better intake,premium fuel,running a carb?change the rubber fuel lines,run e85.A lot of people around here have done this,they love it.

floyd

Well Known Member
If your worried about running hot with a 400,mix your coolant 70/30.-80 degrees,almost 300 degrees boiling point.Hasnt failed me yet,can drive 75 mph -60 below.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Not worried about that for me,......... just thought I would add some tech to this discussion. :good

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I think a flat top piston 400 with Vortec heads is like 11 to 1 compression, that's a little high for the street, would go like hell though.

floyd

Well Known Member
On 91 octane you can run up to 13 to 1 ,chevy 3.6l is at 13 to 1,I have one 2012 ltz.E85 runs great on higher compression motors too.If you look at the gm cam specs they dont have alot of timing.