409 2X4 air cleaner base is wrong

denson1932

Well Known Member
My friend bought this '409' chrome air cleaner this for a few bucks years ago at a swap meet, we tried it on my -881 intake with Edelbrock carbs. We knew the throat size is bigger on the modern carbs but the spacing (of the air cleaner base between carbs) is almost 8" needs to be about 6 1/2". Can anyone ID the base is it Buick Wildcat 425 or perhaps Pontiac Catlina 421? Thanks in advance for any info....

Attachments

• DSCF1071.JPG
    DSCF1071.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF1073.JPG
    DSCF1073.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 79

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Since there were no 2-4 bbl. Pontiac 421's built with that style of air cleaner.I suspect that what you very well may have is the Buick 425 2-4 bbl. base there.It's worth some money.The vast majority of 421's had either a single 4bbl.,or 3 deuces.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The solution to check is a repro base from Show Cars to match your Edelbrock carbs on a 881 intake.
I think they have them,its worth a call. They also sell plastic adapters for edelbrock carbs -check that -just raises the air cleaner a little ask about them also.

also measure your on the engine center to center spacing of your edelbrocks before you call them. They list the items with the spacing for various intakes and carbs plus give them the spacing on the chrome air cleaner you have, maybe the plastic adapters will work.

You have an original 63/64 chrome 2-4 base from what I checked - I just measured my 63/64 chrome and its right at 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 inches
I could not use my original restored 63/64 chrome 2-4 air cleaner on my 409 original intake when I changed to Edelbrock carbs from the original AFB carbs on my 881 intake.

I have this air cleaner I have on my edelbrocks on a 881 intake -checked spacing and carb size (this link does not have the spacing that I and carb size I have on my 1406 edelbrock carbs)
http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6701

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I stated it wrong, the base you have needs to be smaller. I am almost sure they sell a original base only -but it may not fit your edelbrocks. It did not fit my 63/64 original air cleaner

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Paul - I too have a different air cleaner as I have dual Edelbrock carbs. I "miss" the dual snorkel chrome air cleaner that fits my Carter AFB's. It's hanging in my garage as a "work of art".

Does anyone carry a dual snorkel air cleaner for the Edelbrock's?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Paul - I too have a different air cleaner as I have dual Edelbrock carbs. I "miss" the dual snorkel chrome air cleaner that fits my Carter AFB's. It's hanging in my garage as a "work of art".

Does anyone carry a dual snorkel air cleaner for the Edelbrock's?

Go to " members stores" section on this site. Jim Sullivan is the guy. Nice stuff.

denson1932

Well Known Member
There is a complete NOS Chevy 409 chrome dual 4 dual snorkel air cleaner in original GM box on eBay right now for only $4800.