409 32 update

409deuce

64 stocker, ran great but too mild.
157j18x.jpg

little to no bore wear, just 9k original miles (firetruck)
15x0mx2.jpg

20 over, reusing crank, resized rods w/ARP bolts and a balanced rotating assembly, 10:1 final compression. Camshaft 218-224 duration @.50, .523 lift
cj5zd.jpg

Stock head rebuild for the most part, some hogging. I dunno, should be around 350 hp with the tri-power and headers. Finished car weight will be around 2600 lbs so with the 4:10 gears and overdrive it should scoot pretty good. :D
rw2vih.jpg

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looking Good !

Great looking project !!!!! :cheers Keep us updated as you progress...

Bill

409deuce

Thanks guys, hope to have a finished turn key chassis by the end of January. If it's allright to post hot rod pics I'll post those hear too? Engine atleast anyway.

409deuce

Thanks for the interest guy's, keeps me motivated.

rear: four link coil over rear with 4:10 posi, built maverick 8"
front: 4" drop I beam and hairpins to keep it lookin' old
vcwjr8.jpg

Starting to look like something now (finally).
That 33 out front is Larry's, my talented fab guy.
avfp6o.jpg

Showcars covers, restored factory tri-power carbs I was lucky enough to find on a 58 olds J-2 intake
,and of coarse the 348 intake. (That reason and that reason alone is why I love my truck heads,lol)
1zyfxqp.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazy:bow Very nice build,those 333's [truck heads] have been proven to well over 450 hp on strokers with a little work.Congrats onthe small cam choice.This thing will be a blast to drive.:crazy

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Your engine looks sooo nice & sooo clean!!!

Nice car & engine. Your going to have fun fun fun.

Question: I just have to ask (showing my ignorance) what is that on the oil pan ahead of the dip stick opening?

Clyde

409deuce

You know what, I don't know. Strangely enough I've never noticed it before. :crazy Weird sending unit? Something for the truck application? Hopefully somebody will chime in.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I suspect it could be the low oil level monitor like all the new vehicles use. That is one of the first things i noticed when I saw your pics. Figured we would have had that fitting resolved by now. BTW the motor looks top shelf.:cheers Leo

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of the 409's out of the bigger trucks had a compressor mounted on the front of the cylinder head for the air brakes. It had it's own oil supply from the engine and a return line going into the oil pan. I would think that's the connector for that return line.

I would check it to make sure there isn't a hole through it.

Dave

409deuce

As per some forum readers request's here's an update on the 409 rod build. Lot'sa fun being had for sure...

I Liked the bomber seat idea but also needed a full harness for track duty. Went with a set of kirkey pro drag seats. To get closer to the look I wanted I cut 6 inches off the area behind the head and retained the harness slot. For tilt adjustability I used kirkey side mounts. These also helped adapt the summit sliders which gave us the back/forth adjustability. 3 days of polishing to "makem purdy". Eventually there will be some tuck and roll upholstery in between the sides.

5ml3sw.jpg

Here's the center section tacked in place. It's the welders series kit from Paul and D.W. Horton. Builder friendly for sure. Panhard bar mounts also. Next up the trans and engine mounts.

9v8psp.jpg

4.11 posi

1w1zr.jpg

fire in the hole !!! well sorta, first engine drop was cool.

ji0590.jpg

welders series tranny mount in there somewhere. built 700r4

14udnuv.jpg

Some small stuff to go on next, steering box mount, exhaust hangers tabs, brake pedal mount ect. Thanks for checking in!

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:bow Looking real sharp. I have a shop to work at but you guys with these big shops with room make me jealous.