409/700r4 starter clearence

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nope

Does the 700r4 case have to be altered to clear the starter nose?

No, not to the bell-housing itself, but depending upon the starter you use, you might find a need to trim the inspection plate-cover, especially if you're using a cast unit. Be careful with the sheet metal units -- they can clash with the crank-flange bolts and make a gawd-aweful noise (but only noise, no serious damage).

Denis

BB1960

Well Known Member
I had to trim my inspection cover a little.

The only problem I had was with the starter itself. It is a gear reduction with the bolt on alloy mounting block. I needed to 'slot' one of the bolt holes on the mill for it to line up. Turn's over the engine fine and lines up with the 168 tooth flywheel perfectly.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Use the diagonal mounting holes only.

I had to trim my inspection cover a little.

The only problem I had was with the starter itself. It is a gear reduction with the bolt on alloy mounting block. I needed to 'slot' one of the bolt holes on the mill for it to line up. Turn's over the engine fine and lines up with the 168 tooth flywheel perfectly.

BB1960

You were not using a starter with the diagonal mounting pattern holes? If you use a starter with only the two rearward holes on a starter, yes, you'd need to slot one. But, if you use a GM starter (or aftermarket style) with a diagonal bolt pattern, it will fit without modification!

You were likely using a starter made specifically for block-mounted starters (for SBC/BBC), with only two mounting holes alongside each other and rearward on the starter.

Denis

Thanks for your input. I am useing a starter with the diagonal bolt patern, and a cast nose to support the bendix. Very close to the GM starter. I have not installed the engine yet, and the trans. is still in the car. Just looked like there might be some clearence problem with the starter nose and the corner of the trans. case.

BB1960

Well Known Member
I wish I knew this before I bought the starter.....

Well it fits now after a bit of stuffing around.......

BB1960

You were not using a starter with the diagonal mounting pattern holes? If you use a starter with only the two rearward holes on a starter, yes, you'd need to slot one. But, if you use a GM starter (or aftermarket style) with a diagonal bolt pattern, it will fit without modification!

You were likely using a starter made specifically for block-mounted starters (for SBC/BBC), with only two mounting holes alongside each other and rearward on the starter.

Denis