409 Aluminum Intake Manifolds

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After attending the hot rod reunion last weekend when I purchased the 409, I met a guy at the swap meet that said he has some parts for a 409 in his garage. He just called and said he has two aluminum manifolds. A 1x4 high rise $250 and a 2x4 $250 or both for $400. Is this another find for me? If so, what numbers should be on the manifolds to I.D. when I do get to his house. It's obvious I don't know **** from shineola when it come to the 409 (but I am catching up).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Here's a good link

Check out this link within the site:

http://www.348-409.com/cgi-bin/intake/csvsearch.pl?search=Search+for&page=1

Lots of information regarding intake casting numbers. Several span the years 62-63-64, and only the date code, which is generally under the riveted splash shield, can tell you the exact date of casting.

I've seen some 2x4s go for around $250 on Ebay, and the 1x4 seems to go for a bit less. $400 for the pair, assuming they are in good original condition, is a fair price. See if he's open to an offer and use your visual inspection to guide you in pricing them. Look for cracks around the mounting areas, snapped off studs, obvious things like that. And the condition of the surface of the aluminum. If they've been bead-blasted, they won't look as original, but they will be real clean :).

Good luck!

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Assuming they are GM intakes they will almost certainly be designed to fit the large port, high performance heads. With a little work you can get them to bolt on to the small port heads but the ports don't match up. They will work though. I think they're going for an okay price but you wouldn't exactly be stealing them. If it were me I think I'd go for a brand new Offenhauser dual quad manifold instead. If you do decide to get those intakes be sure to ask if they've still got the metal plate on the underside. It keeps the hot oil from splashing up onto the bottom of the pan.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I sold the Bubbletop to Dennis, it needs restored but is a decent car with everything there. When I bought the car it had a 63 409 425 engine installed, complete running air cleaner to oil pan, which I removed along with the radiator and then sold the car to Dennis. We talk and exchange emails occasionaly, nice guy who has a great desire to have a nice bubble and now has a 409 to complete the dream. I talked to him last night and explained the difference in port size and gave him the numbers for the aluminum intakes that that would match. I also suggested the Offenhauser intake just because the look of the two fours. Dennis the link for Offenhauser is, http://www.offyparts.com/index.php/cPath/1_4?osCsid=1327f65c79ca1f6a5df9399563a21fda.

Good luck with the engine and as I have said before there are a lot of people here that enjoy hearing about the progress and giving help where they can.

Bill

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks alot guys. Is there anyone interested in these manifolds? They are as I understand it, for high horsepower 409's. Contact him: Mark Leal @ 661-xxx-xxxx Pacific time. He is here in Bakersfield.

Edited: Phone number removed at the request of Mark Leal