409 Block stamps

killerB59

This my thinking, hoping some can inlightn me. The block I have looks like the deck may have been machined. So the stamp went with it. Would any ol machine shop restamp new numbers? Do the new stamp numbers mean something different?
Thanks for any help

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When my block was squared up,the numbers were still there,just a reduced depth.As to them being milled off,it would depend on how much they took off the block.As to the machine shop putting them back,optional.Depending what the owner wanted,and was willing to pay for.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I would say...back in the day......blocks were not reshaped. But about 25 years ago, when the 409s got real expensive....they were probably a contingent who started to put anything on the data pad to make the car more desireable.

427John

Well Known Member
Not sure if this applies to 348-409,but I believe empty replacement blocks for SBC and BBC had no stamping,I believe the the fitted shortblocks were the ones that came came with engine codes stamped in them.It would not be surprising to find other numbers not related to VIN or build codes stamped in other areas.As Phil said when original cars got so ridiculously expensive years ago it was not unheard of for people to restamp an original decked block to save the info,and it wasn't unheard of for some unscrupulous people to stamp an unstamped replacement block.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The factory had no way of knowing what these fitted blocks were going into,hense no stamping,even on the long blocks.

427John

Well Known Member
I do know on some of the later engines they had a a warranty or service replacement code stamped in them,don't know if that was something the factory did or if it was something the installing dealer did though.

killerB59

Phil helped out on the other thread I posted in, but still not making sense in my head ( lack of knowledge) here the pic again. The faint Q under the newer looking stencil s is what's got me 20170822_081541.jpg

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
My 068 block came to me original with no numbers on it. Probably came from Earnest Allen Chevrolet back in the day. I'm glad Phil missed this'un.

:cool::jive

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There are ways to identify the previous stamping below but I don't know what the process is .........the stamping process itself leaves in image with in the metal as a result of being compressed but I don't know how you find that .........

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought (don't try this unless you know better) that old stampings can be illuminated/made more readable with nitric acid.
Thought that's what I heard crime labs use on guns when the serial number had been mangled, ground off, stamped over, etc.

Anyone have experience with this?

killerB59

Now the hard question, or maybe easy for you guys. What's a bare block worth? I have the 63 and I have 65. The 65 has the cut outs in the cylinder, 63 does not. Probably going to sell one to fund the other.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 63 block is a car block,2500+[high side],the 65 is a truck block,about 750-1,000 less is my guess.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I do know on some of the later engines they had a a warranty or service replacement code stamped in them,don't know if that was something the factory did or if it was something the installing dealer did though.
The CE Warranty Replacement program started in late 67 in conjunction with the 5 year powertrain warranties. It outlived the 5 year warranty though.

f11abe27-0c7c-4872-a314-ec869c062ef8.jpg

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 068 block that i have had since about 1980 and it has no stamping on the pad.It has a January casting date.I have had the Late Great show people when the were in business deduct a point for the no stamp and i thought about stamping it but never did,now i am glad that i did not do it.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
This has nothing, to do with 409's. In 1972, I purchased a 350 LT-1 H.P short block (3966921) It had a CEA-222 stamped on the pad.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I thought (don't try this unless you know better) that old stampings can be illuminated/made more readable with nitric acid.
Thought that's what I heard crime labs use on guns when the serial number had been mangled, ground off, stamped over, etc.

Anyone have experience with this?

I tried muradic acid with no success.