409 block

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
garn3 ask a short, simple, basic question. He was referred to a thread that answered his question. No reason to ridicule him for not knowing the answer. Not everyone monitors this web-site every day. Some members may go months without logging on. Remarks like , " oh no, not again". runs some members off. This is a web-site for all levels of expertise. Cut em a little slack.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome new guy and x means gold. Its a 409 . I dont know what it means but a 409 is cool all on its own x or no x. I have found a lot of nice people here. Oh and I love my new valve covers with the chevrolet script. Today was a good cruising day. Enjoy garn3. John

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
johnnyrod said:
Welcome new guy and x means gold. Its a 409 . I dont know what it means but a 409 is cool all on its own x or no x. I have found a lot of nice people here. Oh and I love my new valve covers with the chevrolet script. Today was a good cruising day. Enjoy garn3. John

John,348--62-65 replacement block & truck block (has"X"on the block) and a 348-- 63-65 truck block (has"X"on block)

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Jim see I learned something here today and at my age 39 and holding. :brow John

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Jim, I was under the impression that all 63-65 409 passenger blocks carried the X. Am I mistaken? Mark

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
mabeauchamp said:
Jim, I was under the impression that all 63-65 409 passenger blocks carried the X. Am I mistaken? Mark

Yes 63-65 do have the X,but I was talking about 348 truck and replacement blocks have an X

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Thanks. I still like the "experimental" explanation the best. :) I plan to use it the next time some one asks.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This info comes from our site,in the engine code section.

348/409 X on block

Starting mid year of 1962, an "X" was cast into the front of the block on all 409's as well as the 348 truck and replacement blocks of the same year(s). This is located in the area shown in this pic

Attachments

• xblock.jpg
    xblock.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 44

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
422 block no "X"

I have a 409 "422" casting #, Julian code of "100" and motor is not drilled for the second set of mounting holes on left if in front of motor. It is set up with fartory 425 HP hardware. I don't find a X on front where it should be. What does this indicate? I also dont see a year code with the julian code which as far as I can tell only indicates month and day. The block have been decked so I don't see the pad numbers. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Robert

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert, Play with the menu at the top of the home page. Much information there. All the basic stuff. Your block is 1964, cast on the 100th day of the year. You will soon be able to identify the casting nos. of different years by doing a little studying, if not, just ask, someone here can help you. Good luck.........