409 broken valve spring

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Lastest problem with my 409 eng. In the changing out of the intake manifold did a compression check and found out # 4 had 0 compression. When I pulled the valve cover..broken valve spring...I see replacing a valve spring can be done without pulling the head. I have a hose to hook air in the cylinder, put unsure what is the best tool to compress the spring...where can I purchase it? Probably a good tool to have.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They make a few different ones. If you have room the one the uses the rocker stud tend to work the best. I'll get some pictures of the two types I have.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
You need to see why it broke coil bind-exhaust valve hitting the block or just fatigue. Maybe pull them all and check pressures to see if it has gone away.

That one the top Moroso or a copy of theirs is the best! Kind of locks in place compressed. Not like the lever ones that try and slap you in the face:)

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being a flat rate mechanic for most of my life, the black one after being modified works much faster for me. I have replaced more valve stem seals then I would care to remember.
Although I made good money when I wanted to hustle all the time, I was only flat rate for a couple of years and decided that wasn't for me. I saw too many guys shorting things just to make money and I couldn't do that and didn't want to run all the time.