409 build

64ImpSS

Well Known Member
Summit Racing lists 2 cranks for 409 motors with a 4" stroke. Is that feasible? Is there enough clearance for that. I have a truck motor and want to build a street / strip motor.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Summit Racing lists 2 cranks for 409 motors with a 4" stroke. Is that feasible? Is there enough clearance for that. I have a truck motor and want to build a street / strip motor.
I believe that’s because there’s two different brands eagle and scat
I believe if you use the scat crankshaft along with a specific scat rod that there is no block work is needed......But obviously you would want to mock things up to know that........4 inch stroke with 6.385 big block rods......Show cars would have the Pistons I believe they would be Ross...... but you could always go different after market........ for more performance

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes, not only can you put a 4" stroke in a 409 but you can also put it in a 348!! My Nova engine is a truck 409 and has a 4" crank and the bore is 4.35 (.038 over) which equals 475 cubic inch. I am also in the process of building a 348 with a 4" stroke and 4.155 bore (.030 over), it will be 434 cubic inch. Remember this is still America and bigger is better!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes, not only can you put a 4" stroke in a 409 but you can also put it in a 348!! My Nova engine is a truck 409 and has a 4" crank and the bore is 4.35 (.038 over) which equals 475 cubic inch. I am also in the process of building a 348 with a 4" stroke and 4.155 bore (.030 over), it will be 434 cubic inch. Remember this is still America and bigger is better!

That's what she said Steve.

Why not a Callies Dragon Slayer with the 4.25"????...America...bigger is better...:flag:drums

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes there is room. At worst a few small notches may have to be made to clear the rod bolts depending on what rod is used. Get the Scat. The eagle machining sucks.
3586EC07-4A8A-4A80-9263-73FB62D7D504.jpeg

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That's what she said Steve.

Why not a Callies Dragon Slayer with the 4.25"????...America...bigger is better...:flag:drums
A 4.25" stroke would give you 500+ cubic inch! :burnout :cigar

I think a 4.25 stroke in the 409 block would have clearance problems with the camshaft. The 409's camshaft to crankshaft centerline is closer than a BBC.