409 clutch fork question.

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
Hi,

Have a question about a clutch fork for a 409 truck block in a 63 impala 4 speed converstion .
1.If i were too use original clutch rods and Z bar but use a 621 bellhousing , Would i use a 409 clutch
fork or go with a clutch fork that would be supplied for a 621 housing ? ( GM # 3892632)

2. Mounting the z bar too the truck block, would it be a bracket or a screw in stud?

Thanks in Advance

427John

Well Known Member
Aqua,answering your questions in reverse order,your block will have a threaded boss forward of the oil filter mount for the ball stud to thread into it will be the only one that is perpendicular to the ground when installed in the car,the rest of the holes in that area are in the same plane as the side of the block.As for the clutch fork it may take some trial and error to determine which fork will be compatible with your later bell housing and earlier style clutch linkage,does your clutch rod have clevis pin type attachment on the end or is it just a blunt point that sits in a dimpled recess on the fork?It may be simpler to find a bell from that bodystyle I know the aluminum ones are spendy due to their commonality with the vette but cast iron ones should be readily found.Whichever bell,fork,and pressure plate you wind up with mock it up to make sure you have the right length clutch release bearing assy. they have at least 3 different lengths that will fit the front bearing retainers,ask me how I know.