409 Engine "Rescue"

Reverb Rey

OK guys, thanks for the additional info. The car is now in winter storage so the only thing that's going to happen is get the motor back together and ready for action. In the meantime we'll start planning the header solution. As noted, the car now has "off the shelf" Hookers (photo attached) with 2" tubes, 3-1/2" collectors for Camaro/Nova which fit quite nicely with no mods. I think the goal will be to find something as close to these as possible. As you know, most of the 409 headers seems to have the 45 degree kick at the bottom for the X frames; I need something that flows straight back. But we'll certainly post plenty of photos of the finished product. I will want the benefits of full length headers, vs. any kind of shorty solution.

Rey

Attachments

• BBC Headers.jpg
    BBC Headers.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
BTW, those Stahls are a very desirable header, I wouldn't cut them up. I have a set on my '61 (got them from Phil a long time ago). Not only do they work well, they are period-correct for people who worry about that. You could probably sell them in 5 minutes or so on this site.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy you’ve got to relax a little man. Look back through Scott’s post if you want, I’ve seen him post “ I’m not one of the smart guys” a hundred times if I’ve heard it once. Even though he claims not to be he is one of them. You know yourself the endless info here is simply amazing, don’t burn bridges you may want to cross later because you misinterpreted something.
Maybe I was wrong about Scott's intent? He doesn't read my advice correctly and gives his two cents on what he believes I meant and was wrong. Sound familiar? The worst part about typing is the correct inflection can be missed and our intent could be missed. I also have a curse of typing fast so though you may read a paragraph, it only took me 2-3minutes. Either way, Scott is a big boy and if I was wrong I expect him to say so. There is always two sides to every story and if you are not Scott then you can only assume what he meant at the moment he wrote it. Scott is well known around these parts and we all like him and he is one of the smart ones. He is also human and he can insult anyone just as easy as the rest of us. Whether that is intently or by mistake is up to Scott. I received a call from one of our members for the holiday and he asked me what his statement was about. He read it as I did so I thought I was correct. Maybe not. :dunno2

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe the guys know this. Do they make a 348-409 long tube "truck style" header that drops straight down and runs straight back like those Hookers do? I can't remember where I have seen thouse before. Could have been custom headers though too. :rub

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy you’ve got to relax a little man. Look back through Scott’s post if you want, I’ve seen him post “ I’m not one of the smart guys” a hundred times if I’ve heard it once. Even though he claims not to be he is one of them. You know yourself the endless info here is simply amazing, don’t burn bridges you may want to cross later because you misinterpreted something.
And I have reached out to Scott.