409 Generator question.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
DEEP GROOVE PULLEY

ToplessII,My 63 425HP 09 came with deep groove pulleys.But I can't answer if the lower hp 09 came with the deep groove.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Deep groove pulleys

Hi Topless,Your first thread and one reply out of 110 views.Maybe there shy about your name (just kidding).Is there a reason why you want to know about the deep groove pulley?I'll give you guess why they might be used.I used regular chrome pulleys on may 09 because my 57 was used for car shows and street driving.But when I started drag racing my 57 thats were my problems began.About 50%of runs down the strip the belt would come off.Sometimes I was lucky and the belt would stay in the in the car and somtimes I would leave it on the track.After the 2nd weekend of drag racing and 4 belts I had to fix this problem.So I could not find my deep groove pulleys so I mounted my alt down low by crank and my problem was solved.

ToplessII

I rebuild and restore generators and alternators, and the reason I was asking is because I always assumed that only the high horsepower 409's had deep groove pulleys. Over the years, I have rebuilt/restored quite a few generators from 409 cars, and most that I believed to be original units, did not have deep groove pulleys. I know that Delco Remy used the same generator number for just about all V-8's (1102097) from 1958 to 1962, and provided them to Chevrolet without pulleys. However, recently I received an email from someone who claimed to be an expert on 409 cars, and he said that all 409's had deep groove pulleys. Thus the reason for my question, because I do not claim to be an expert on 409 cars. Thank you again.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409 Pulleys

The pulley on the 62 409 cars was bigger. I do know that, and from that I would presume that they were a deep pulley. The larger pulley was to slow down the RPM of the generator to not throw the lead out of it. Or whatever they tossed. Think it was the lead. They needeed deep groove pulleys to keep the belts on at high RPM.
In 63, they went to the alternator, and still had the larger pulley and deep groove pulley.

Fred

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
ToplessII
I have a 63 340hp with the original alternator--large pulley,deep groove.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
generator

Topless,also a 409 generator had a larger bearing and bearing retainer on the d/e end,Gen.#1102268. The097 gen was std. on all v8. Pulley was deep gr. Have p/n's here.Will try to find,but Iam sure someone else has them

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't attest to all 409 cars, but the high performance used the large, deep groove pullys. The post just above would seem to lead in that direction, though.

Fred

ToplessII

On the generators with deep groove pulleys, was the fan and pulley one piece or was the pulley seperate from the fan?