409 Head Gaskets

Blackbird409

Which head gaskets do you prefer for your 409? Fel-Pro, McCord, steel shim, copper? Do you install them dry, with copper coat, or with another type of adhesive? I am going to replace the two year old Fel-Pro head gaskets on my 409/340 hp due to seepage. I really don't want to make a habit out of this so your suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Matt

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use the Felpro dry and have had no problems. Make sure you retap the head bolt holes so you get a clean torque.,,,dq

FYN409

Head Gaskets

There is an issue with the Felpro gaskets for the W. It sounds like their manufacturing process isn't all is should be. The issue is with the quench/crush ring around the cylinder. Some are too thick and do not allow the rest of the gasket to compress correctly. I installed a brand new set on my 09' and once it warmed up I had water leaking the whole length of the head on one side. I freaked and thought I had a cracked head, then after talking to Curt Harvey I found out that this is an issue with the felpro gaskets. Curt said to always measure the thickness of the crush ring and make sure it is within tolerance (I can't remember what that tolerance is at the moment you would need to call him). I checked the new set, they were good, so I installed them and they seem to be working fine now.

-Ryan(FYN409)

62SS409

I rebuilt my 409/409 two winters ago and used steel gaskets with copper bearing sealant painted on both sides. I retorqed after the cam brake-in and again when I reset the valve clearances. I have not seen any problems whatsoever.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
head gaskets

I have used the steel shim gaskets since day one. Used them in 63-65, and 93-2003. I've never had a problem. Don't expect to, either. They are harder to find, but they also are the gaskets the factory used, the motor was designed to use, and the gasket you need to get the factory compression ratio. My opinion.:)

Blackbird409

head gasket

When you use the steel shim head gasket with copper coat, how often do you retorque the head? Is it necessary to retorque the head after getting the motor hot or after putting some miles on the car? Or will it probably be okay after the first setting?

Matt

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have used the Victor Reinz 409 head gaskets from NAPA with good success. I had to pull the heads on my 409 after I installed screw in rocker studs. The machine shop buzzed the head surface with 180 grit paper on an air file and I installed the head gaskets with copper coat on both sides. Also applied a liberal ammount of teflon thread sealer to the head bolts. The stuff that comes in a tube, no the tape.
Ross

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
I put my engine together a couple of years ago. I just had to take it apart. It was leaking water between the heads and block. Found out from my machinist that it was the teflon thread sealer that I used on the head bolts. He said to use the brown gooie stuff on them. I also plan on using the copper coat on the head gaskets too. Hopefully no water leaks this time. It's suppose to be a engine not a water pump!!!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dond,,,Don`t put anything on the felpros if that what your using,,,,They won`t seal at all if you do,,,,Metal,,, Yes,,,Composite,,,no ,,,dq

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
dq
These Felpro gaskets I have are?? :confused: I am not sure you can call them composite. They are not at all like the Felpro Permatorque Blue gaskets or regular composite gaskets. They are actually a sandwiched gasket, a thin metal layer on each side, a thin metal inner layer, and a very thin black composite looking inner layer. Total uncompressed thickness is .037. A little thinner than most composite gaskets.

They can probably be put on dry, but since both outside surfaces are metal, I don't think a thin layer of aerosol hylomar or copper coat would hurt, dunno, what do you think?

I would post a picture, but don't have a digital camera. Guess I will have to go shopping.
Ron

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Head Gaskets

I just finished reassembling the 09 in my 67 Suburban. I used Hylomar in a spray can, a light coat. Gaskets were Fel Pro. So far no problems, but Iam keeping a close watch because I used Fel Pro head gaskets on a previous engine without any sealer and had coolant leaks.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ron,,,I`d like more info on those gaskets... like a part number or some means of finding a set. Thanks,,dq

62SS409

With regard to the teflon sealer: When I rebuilt, I re-tapped the block and used new ARP bolts and liquid teflon sealer on all of the bolts that go into the water jacket. There are four bolts that are very close to the center exhaust outlet and hence get very hot. The teflon sealer let go and I had a very minor leak into the intersecting exhaust manifold bolt holes on two of the four. I was advised that blue RTV was better to use. I replaced these four bolts, one at a time, with blue RTV when I did my first re-torque after cam break-in and it never leaked again.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
dq

The part no. on my gasket set is: FS8007 PT-3

The no. stamped on the head gasket is 8007.
Ron