409 in a 55 chevy wagon?

55wagon

I know where there's a will there's a way but will the 409 take the later big blocks flywheel and bellhousing, and are the motor mounts the same? Right now I have a bone stock 55 wagon (even the original 265 with no oil filter) with a 3 speed. I have a 4 speed saginaw laying around and was wondering if it would be easy to mate that 4 speed to a 409 and put them in the '55.

bobs409

Administrator
Welcome 55 wagon...

Everything should bolt up fine. I dropped my 409 into a 66 Chevelle that had a 350 small block when I bought it. I have a turbo 350 bolted onto mine. Motor mounts are in the exact same location as small and big blocks and the transmission mount holes are the same too.

Oh yeh, we have a few other members here that have w-motors in 55's so im sure you'll hear from them yet. :) If we get anymore of you guys, I'll have to start a forum just for w-motor powered 55's! LOL

T

truck4092

Please do

Bob,please do start a new section for us 348-409s in a 55 chev guys,me and the 348 nut would like that,hee hee hee!Might as well we even have a small block section now!The Nut has his running and I am still slowly working on mine basically following his lead and recommendations as far as engine mounts and oil pans go,Yeah a tri-five section with w motors,ALRIGHT,hee hee hee!:cheers

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Geez, I really dropped the ball on this one!

I haven't been paying attention. Sorry guys. Thanks PDP for pointing this out to me. Welcome 55wagon :) Yes, W motors in shoeboxes are awesome! I've learned a lot in the process of getting my 55 drivable, but I am very happy with the results and mine's only a 250hp 348! Does anyone smell rubber burning? :D I put a 700r4 behind it with a 3:36 posi and with no glass and other luxury items like back seat, lights, trim, etc :rolleyes: this car is fun to drive! (I'm sure it's all the noise and the excitment of sneaking this thing out on the blacktop that makes it seem so fast.) Anyway, Ask me anything and I've got lots of pictures I can Email. Good luck. Oh yah, I think the Shoe box section is a great idea Bob! Maybe we should have a poll or something. :) NUT

Attachments

• been there, done that!.jpg
    been there, done that!.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 266

vanst

Well Known Member
409 in a 55

I like the idea of a 409 in a 55 web site! Anyway yes your 409 will fit in the 55. I'm currently restoring a 55 Convrtible that had a 409/425 installed in it about 25c years ago. In fact the 348NUT told me my car was in a late 70's Chevy Power magazine artical. I later tracked down the artical from the past owner, hard to believe the car looked the same after all those years.

There are a few things clearance wise that become an issue but nothing is a shower stopper. I have a few pics on this web of the car before I started and will post some this week I hope with the side motor mounts and steering rack. Good luck and feel free to contact me if I may be of some help.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
W in a Shoe Box: Been there, Done that!

Yah I'm hooked on the green stuff. :rolleyes: Here's PDP(TRUCK409) and I gettin a caffeine and sugar high. He's a little tippy :D NUT

Attachments

• the dew boys.gif
    the dew boys.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 214

vanst

Well Known Member
409 in 55 Wagon

Bobs409, I've tried to attach a picture to my last reply (sized under 100) and it didn't take. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you preview your message first it won't attach the photo. Just a thought. NUT and thank you for the pics you sent me. They look great! Here's the mount picture. Hope you don't mind. I shrunk it down as to not spread ou t the thread page.

Attachments

• steering 1resize.jpg
    steering 1resize.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 167

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another '55 w/409 pic. right outa' the sixties.

Attachments

• 55 chevy 409.jpg
    55 chevy 409.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 156

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey, Ive got some pics I took of a 55 chevy with a 409 in it at a local car show. I figured sometime Id post them here for all of you "NUTS". :p ..........

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's a restored gasser. I want one!:D

Attachments

• 409gasser.jpg
    409gasser.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 165

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another shot of that '55 Gasser!

Attachments

• 55\' 409 gasser 1.jpg
    55\' 409 gasser 1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 150
T

truck4092

Gee "tanks NUT! I didn't know I looked that good when I got a mountaint dew high on or a caffeine buzz,hee hee hee!Glad to see your back in circulation after being so busy.Tippy Truck 409:D :D :D

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just one more

This picture shows what that 09 can do! :eek: but we all knew that, right? :D I have a 210 sedan I would like to build like this someday. I know where there is a 425/09 too, just haven't been able to justify laying out the cash for it yet. I hope I can figure out how to get a hold of it before it's gone! :eek: Can someone have too many project cars? I didn't think so. ;) So how bout it CPG...dq, do you think you could take him? :p NUT

Attachments

• kool55gasser0.jpg
    kool55gasser0.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 98