409 intake 3797776

bcm66

Hi everybody. I am new to this site, but have been on others for a while. I grew up around Impalas, Camaros and Chevelles. Dad had several different 409 cars, engines and parts over the years.

I have a question about a 409 intake. Dad came across a 1959 Chevrolet 2 door sedan stock car today. It looks like it was parked in a barn for about 40 years. Still has the tires stored inside the car like they did in the old days. It would be cool as an old nostalgia car. It has a large Olds/Pontiac rearend a floor shift 3 speed and a 348 in it (haven't checked all of the numbers yet to be sure what year 348 but it's an F code) and it has one of the 1961 over the counter 409 intakes (casting number 3797776). Thats a single AFB aluminum intake. Any idea how much that intake might be worth? We might try to get the car running and bring it to nostalgia night for display at one of the local dirt tracks.

I also have a 409 crankshaft, 1958 348 block and 1958 348 heads. Any idea what those would be worth? I was going to build a stroked 348 (with the 409 crank) but it is looking less likely now.

I did not see a What's it Worth section, so I thought I would post here. Thanks in advance.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Intake value

If that's the intake I am thinking it is, it does command value among collectors. There are two factory (GM) aluminum intakes for the small port heads that I am aware of (from memory), one for the 348 (540 casting?) and the one you have for the 1961 409/360 horse engine. It was designed for the Carter AFB. I suspect others might venture to provide a range of it's value. I've seen some 540s on ebay and they seem to go for more than $500. So that's a starting point for benchmarking price/value.

Wish I had it!

Give us the casting numbers, date code and any suffix code identifiers on that 1958 block, along with the casting #s for the heads and we can tell you more about those.

TomK

bcm66

OK, I think I am going to to dad's place on the weekend. The block, heads, crank and other stuff are in storage. I think I also have some 348 rods and pistons that came with the block and heads too, but not a complete set.

Dad said the intake MIGHT be for sale.

bcm66

Block is a 1958 model year 3732811 (December 57) casting with F code. Heads are 791s dated L 11 57 and L 10 57. I have 6 rods and pistons plus an 0819 crankshaft (409 crank).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Cost of parts

If the block checks out to be good (cleaned and magged, no cracks) and the bores are OK, and the same goes for the heads, they will command a higher price. No one likes to buy iron and then find out it's not good :(.

Assuming it's all good, the block and heads might go from $350-$500 or so, depending on the buyer. If it has to be shipped, that just adds to the total cost.

Oddly enough, the intake may be worth more than the block and heads. For some reason, there is not a lot of interest in those early 1957-8 castings. I guess if one had a 1958 Chevy and wanted a 348 engine that was "period correct" one might be more inclined...

A good idea might be to watch Ebay ads for a couple of weeks and see what is listed and what sells.

Good luck!

TomK

M

monk

threadwithpictures.gif

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If that's the intake I am thinking it is, it does command value among collectors. There are two factory (GM) aluminum intakes for the small port heads that I am aware of (from memory), one for the 348 (540 casting?) and the one you have for the 1961 409/360 horse engine. It was designed for the Carter AFB. I suspect others might venture to provide a range of it's value. I've seen some 540s on ebay and they seem to go for more than $500. So that's a starting point for benchmarking price/value.

Wish I had it!

Give us the casting numbers, date code and any suffix code identifiers on that 1958 block, along with the casting #s for the heads and we can tell you more about those.

TomK

Tom,
Don't forget the 579 aluminum intakes which are erroneously listed as 61 application, even on this website. I am convinced by my research that they were the 305 intakes for 59 and early 60. The 61 intakes were 540 and 776.:coffee:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom,
Don't forget the 579 aluminum intakes which are erroneously listed as 61 application, even on this website. I am convinced by my research that they were the 305 intakes for 59 and early 60. The 61 intakes were 540 and 776.:coffee:

Thanks for reposting that. Don't you think the issue might be caused by an early publishing date and late engineering change. The rumors of the coming 327 were probably well spoken on the 14th floor?
robert

bcm66

Thanks for the information everybody. I don't have any pictures of the intake, but I can try to get some. It might take a while.