409 mechanical fuel injection

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw this setup or one like it on ebay YEARS ago. Here is part of the listing. I don't remember the starting/asking price and I did not make a note. I do not remember it selling so it must have sold outside of ebay. See below, I copied, saved and pasted this from the ebay add.
Jeff

Take a look Heres what i believe to be the only Fuel Injected Chevrolet 409 set up like this known any where i picked this up from a fellow who owned a trucking company back in the early 60s i have had this for 25 years the fellow i got this from told me a testing lab in Ann Arbor Michigan which is 40 miles from Detriot sent workers in white lab coats out to his garage and installed 3 of these setups on 409 truck engines and when ever they had problems the guys in the white lab coats would show up and repair them and he said they ran real good and made a strange hissing whine when they where running and really made the gravel trucks haul when the testing was done the lab came out to remove them but one setup was missing and from what he told me they where real pissed but what had happened is he removed one and took a back ho and buried one of them all wraped up to protect it in his back 40 and left it there for a year until the heat was off and i kept it out of sight for the last 25 years and for the first time since 1964 here it is so this is the story i was told on it and nothing made up.k at the pictures its kind of like a diesel except lower fuel PSI and has a chain driven injection pump thats oiled by lines from the engines oil pressure but are not connected in the picture the pump has line to each port and shoots fuel with the engines firing order and has a simple 4 barrel throttle body to control the air i have the original fuel pump but i would use some of todays fuel pumps and vacum operated fuel pressure regulators with this setup there alot better and i think you would end up a real neat one of a kind engine that would stop em dead in there tracks at any car show anywhere.I really dont want to sell it but its been sitting around doing nothing in my barn so if the price is right you could be the proud owner of what i beleve is a one on a kind piece and dont ask me what brand it is theres no name or ID tag on it but the intake is the low horse power GM intake and would fit on a 348 also.What you will get in this auction is the intake with pump,throttle body.lines,front cover,cam spocket everything is here you will need to set it up i even have a extra injection pump.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I saw this setup or one like it on ebay YEARS ago. Here is part of the listing. I don't remember the starting/asking price and I did not make a note. I do not remember it selling so it must have sold outside of ebay. See below, I copied, saved and pasted this from the ebay add.
Jeff

Take a look Heres what i believe to be the only Fuel Injected Chevrolet 409 set up like this known any where i picked this up from a fellow who owned a trucking company back in the early 60s i have had this for 25 years the fellow i got this from told me a testing lab in Ann Arbor Michigan which is 40 miles from Detriot sent workers in white lab coats out to his garage and installed 3 of these setups on 409 truck engines and when ever they had problems the guys in the white lab coats would show up and repair them and he said they ran real good and made a strange hissing whine when they where running and really made the gravel trucks haul when the testing was done the lab came out to remove them but one setup was missing and from what he told me they where real pissed but what had happened is he removed one and took a back ho and buried one of them all wraped up to protect it in his back 40 and left it there for a year until the heat was off and i kept it out of sight for the last 25 years and for the first time since 1964 here it is so this is the story i was told on it and nothing made up.k at the pictures its kind of like a diesel except lower fuel PSI and has a chain driven injection pump thats oiled by lines from the engines oil pressure but are not connected in the picture the pump has line to each port and shoots fuel with the engines firing order and has a simple 4 barrel throttle body to control the air i have the original fuel pump but i would use some of todays fuel pumps and vacum operated fuel pressure regulators with this setup there alot better and i think you would end up a real neat one of a kind engine that would stop em dead in there tracks at any car show anywhere.I really dont want to sell it but its been sitting around doing nothing in my barn so if the price is right you could be the proud owner of what i beleve is a one on a kind piece and dont ask me what brand it is theres no name or ID tag on it but the intake is the low horse power GM intake and would fit on a 348 also.What you will get in this auction is the intake with pump,throttle body.lines,front cover,cam spocket everything is here you will need to set it up i even have a extra injection pump.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I had heard all these stories for a long time.

When I encountered the guy selling it, I decided to buy it and begin researching.

I was fortunate to have located the original Chevy Tech that both installed it and removed it instead of relying on the guy that was actually selling it.
I wanted to talk to the guy that actually worked on it.
I located him in an adult assisted living center in Florida. His wife answered the phone, very nice but, would not let me talk to him since he had Alzheimer’s. She did however, give me her sons phone number. I called him and he was so excited! He said he had always wanted that unit. He said he confirmed his Dad removed it from a car at the Chevy dealership where he worked. He said Chevy guys in white lab coats would check on the car occasionally. He shared that he and his Dad built an engine and put it in a Chevy pickup truck. He said nobody ever beat them, however they did break a crankshaft one time. Yep, a crankshaft!!

Anyway, Hemmings Muscle Machines printed and article of info they received indicated the engine produced 444Hp. Pretty strong.

Regarding the trucks, Chevy tried the unit on trucks, I think I heard they had about 7 units on trucks.
In the end, Chevy chose not to proceed, keeping Rochester for their FI units. They did reach out for bids on FI units from many companies. This one was made by Marvel-Scheblet.

Anyway, hope this helps some. Lots more to come