409 oil feed problems....

Darren Blake

Thanks Jim. It was dry, and that makes sense to me that the cam bearing is wrong. When we went and picked up the engine, it had the short block already built with new bearings. However I found many issues, such as the piston valve reliefs were all over the place and incorrect, main bearings were way too tight, etc. etc. The cam bearings were new, however I didn't think to verify if they were correct. It's coming back apart, however for all of the right reasons.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Jim. It was dry, and that makes sense to me that the cam bearing is wrong. When we went and picked up the engine, it had the short block already built with new bearings. However I found many issues, such as the piston valve reliefs were all over the place and incorrect, main bearings were way too tight, etc. etc. The cam bearings were new, however I didn't think to verify if they were correct. It's coming back apart, however for all of the right reasons.
Sorry to here this. but some engine builders dont know what they are doing :bat

Darren Blake

I actually built a 496 BBC stroker for this same customers 70 SS Chevelle, after he went through hell and $$$ with two previous engine builders. Brodix block and heads, nice equipment. It was knocking profusely. Upon disassembly, I noticed the previous "Expert Engine Builder" installed the Scat Rods backwards, with chamfer facing away from the fillet on the crank journal. Not to mention bearing clearances WAY to tight and zero rod side clearance. I took pictures and measurements, and made a log of condition and findings. I told my customer to ask the previous "Expert Engine Builder" what kind of micrometer he uses, and his response was"A micro what?" Yeah, those are the people that give the hobby a bad name and vibe. That's how the 409 came to me was a happy customer for repeat business.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes we did,but Bob won't let us say what we[including him] are really thinking about this person! :furious

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I might say second time Car Book Mechanic. Managed to get the correct cam bearing in the correct location. Ability to align it correctly on the other hand...