409 Oil Pan

I'm almost done with the oil pan. Lots of cutting, added 2 " to the sump. My calculations tell me it will end up as a 6.5 quart pan. Figured out a nifty way to add the embossed strengthening ribs to the 2" piece I added with a homemade fixture. I'll likely finish it up this coming weekend (July 23/24 - will post pics, etc.

On another note regarding oil filters, this is what I use. Adds another quart.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AC-Delco-PF932-Duraguard-Engine-Oil-Filter-Chevy-2-Quart,4745.html

Not trying to steal this thread, but I'd like to ask a question about a dented oil pan. I believe I have read it here and also elsewhere, that some have taken a hammer and dolly to a dented oil pan and removed most of the dents. How does that work?? Aren't you still left with small dents?? Do you smooth things out with bondo?? Thanks, Carmine.

The pan is 18 ga. If there are small dings and dents, just take a hammer and dolly to 'em, and tap, tap, tap away. Larger dents will also contain some metal stretch/shrink, which is more difficult to deal with but not impossible. In the end, YES, it is very possible to remove all dents with a hammer and dolly, it just takes time and a lot of patience.

IMO, don't use bondo, you should be able to tap all the dents out. The severe temperature swings of hot engine to cool engine makes the metal shrink and expand, and any bondo will fall out eventually.

FWIW, I just finished hammering out a gazillion little dents and a few medium ones in my aforementioned pan. Now it looks just like new. Patience, and a long series of rapid, light, continuous taps works better than brute force. Think about 2 taps per second. Use the philosophy of gently reversing how the dent got there in the first place... gently. "Be the dent".:D

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm almost done with the oil pan. Lots of cutting, added 2 " to the sump. My calculations tell me it will end up as a 6.5 quart pan. Figured out a nifty way to add the embossed strengthening ribs to the 2" piece I added with a homemade fixture. I'll likely finish it up this coming weekend (July 23/24 - will post pics, etc.

On another note regarding oil filters, this is what I use. Adds another quart.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AC-Delco-PF932-Duraguard-Engine-Oil-Filter-Chevy-2-Quart,4745.html

Prophet, about that oil filter. I am using a spin adapter, I take it this is what you are using correct?
My oil pan has been modified and it has lost some capasity, so I am hoping this will add a little
bit more oil. I wasn't aware of this bigger filter, Thanks :clap

Prophet, about that oil filter. I am using a spin adapter, I take it this is what you are using correct?
My oil pan has been modified and it has lost some capasity, so I am hoping this will add a little
bit more oil. I wasn't aware of this bigger filter, Thanks :clap

Yes, it's a standard spin on adapter. I fill the filter about 7/8 full before spinning it on.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Prophet, Thanks , that was a fast reply. I guess I better get one soon. Just too hot for me to get out and work on it.
Again, thanks for the info.

Prophet, Thanks , that was a fast reply. I guess I better get one soon. Just too hot for me to get out and work on it.

I hear ya'.

Here in Northern Illinois today, it's 110F Heat index. I was out in the back last night doing some welding on my pan at about 6:30PM, and gave up it was so hot and humid. Better over the weekend though.... we hope.

Sorry.... one more tip:

If you know the name brand and part # - in this case AC Delco PF932 - you can order most stuff from Amazon.com. Better yet if you are Amazon Prime.

Usually cheaper, and free shipping!!

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ordered my filter last week from Speedway. Received them today and as soon as it cool's off a bit, I'll put it on....