409 Option requirements

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What options where required when ordering a 62 Impala with a 409
I have found that RPO 580-587 list the options for that RPO but was HD Suspension and brakes Posi Traction also required
Looking to turn back the clock if one where to walk in a Chevrolet dealer in 62 and order a car with a 409 what was he required to put on the car
I know then one could buy a car alacarte but like the SS it came with certain options.
Did that carry over to the other models
Thanks Wayne

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 1963 Assembly Manual shows everything for all the various options, from the 425 hp to the optional and additional ashtray, in case only one is insufficient.

The Assembly Manual is really great, and I would urge everyone to get one. They are readily availabl.

Just my opinion

Chip

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
That will require a bit of research. A good place to start will be the Chevrolet Passenger Car Specifications (available online https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1962-Chevrolet.pdf). You'll need to study closely because some options are mentioned separately for 580/587 throughout the specs. The 1962 Engineering Features (88 page booklet not available online) might have some more info and the dealer price guides and advertising brochures might also contain info on what had to be ordered if you wanted a 409.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great Info Thanks to all
already learned looking at the specs from Carl
Trying to recreate something from only memories and a couple pictures if only I had a VIN # and even that has limited info

427John

Well Known Member
If your talking about required options such as HD suspension,HD brakesHD rear axle,and upgraded cooling system,Ford was alone in requiring them with the HP engine option in the early 60's.As the decade progressed cars like the GTO and 442 included upgraded suspensions and brakes with the HP engines,but there were plenty of cars that rolled off the assembly line back then that had way more power than their brakes and suspension were prepared for.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wayne, are you asking if there were “options” that cost additional $ that were “required” (i.e., had to be ordered) if you selected a 409 motor?

I have my original Retail Order form for my ‘63 409/425 Impala SS. I do not remember the sales guy saying any other option must be added to order given motor selection. That said, my memory is not what it used to be.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry for getting back late but yes exactly I believe that option 580-587 where specific but other options could be required at additional
cost
The 62 my brother purchased in 62 was a dealer order for the lot not special order by customer so it may have been minimal options
I know the dealer he bought it from and I even called them just hoping by chance they may have kept older records (don't LOL) NO and they LOL
Like I said in an earlier post all from memory and no VIN #