409 or 348?

pecuFIN

I recently bought an (hopefully 409) engine that has no casting code or date code. There is no X on the block. Is there anything else where I could recodnize which one the block would be?

Thanks,
Pecu

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Other casting numbers?

Pecu:

Assuming you know this to be "W" engine, when you say it has no casting numbers or codes, exactly where are you looking? On the "W" block you will find casting numbers on the rear of the block, driver's side. On the passenger side rear you will often find a julian date code (if applicable, mid 1963 on up) or other letters and numbers that represent the build date. There is also a "pad" up front passenger side, just even with the deck of the block -- this has some stamped numbers called "suffix codes". Often these were removed when a block underwent machine work, especially the decking of the block.

You also mention that this is an "engine" and if you have the heads and carbs and intake and exhaust manifolds that came with it you will find additional casting numbers that will give us clues as to what you might have.

Look at some of the other components (pull the valve covers, etc.) and see if you can spot letters and numbers. Let us know if you can find those and we will try to help you figure out what you might have!

Best,
TomK

pecuFIN

:doh Sorry I ment I only have a block!
There is a clear spot where the casting code is suppose to be.
I have to check for the casting date code.
On the pad on the passenger side there is "QB", very hard to see.
There was some casting numbers in front of the block under the timing chain cover, what do those mean?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Qb=409

Measure the bore of the cylinder to be sure. Anybody could have restamped the pad.

Astro409

Well Known Member
It looks like they went thu a lot of trouble to make you thiink its a 409 block.:dunno I may be wrong but they might be trying to pass a 348 for a 409.:dunno Can't you get a 409 out of a 348?:brow I thought I read it somewhere on here.

pecuFIN

I checked the cylinder bore and it was roughly 4,36". The fact that there is no "x" on the block leaves me years 1961 and 1962 409, but "QB" suffix code was only in 1962 380hp 409 engine. The QB code seems very old. Is it possible that someone has bored out an 348 block and restamped it as 409???

Thanks again,
Pekka

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Way back machine

Back in the 60s, I street raced quite a bit. I would always remove the casting numbers off of everything on my 64 Impala and 69 Nova. No need to give the show away. Maybe it's an old race block.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The QB code on a 62 should be a 409 hp not 380. If you are getting your info from Colvin's book, there are some errors to watch out for. He shows the QA single four engine and the QB dual four engines as the same 380 hp. Also if they ground off the casting numbers check to see if they may have ground off the X as well. As for the question of boring out a 348 to 4.36, I don't think it is possible. The cylinder walls on the 348 blocks aren't that thick with the possible exception of the 655 cast block. I have read that it has the thicker walls and could be bored out to 409 specs but have never seen one or heard from anyone who has done it.

Based on the evidence you have presented I think you have a 409. I can't imagine why anyone would grind off the casting nuimbers and leave the suffix code. It does't make sense. I remember in a past thread someone had a block with no casting numbers and had not been ground off. Maybe a factory mistake. If there is no sign of the numbers being ground off maybe yours is another.

pecuFIN

Here's a few photos of the block. Any comments???
What are those casting codes under the timing chain cover and on the rear of the block?

Thanks,
Pekka

Attachments

• 541 0010.jpg
    541 0010.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 541 0050.jpg
    541 0050.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 541 0060.jpg
    541 0060.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 78
  • 541 0070.jpg
    541 0070.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 541 0090.jpg
    541 0090.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 91

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
http://www.348-409.com/blockcast.html

They way these block numbers are shown is unfamiliar to me (date?). However, it would appear to be a 068 block casting....QB suffix code (1962-409 dual quad).

See 348-409 Home Page - suffix code section as well.

RCE1962

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Post a picture of the drivers side top rear where the bellhousing bolts up You might be able to see that even if it's ground off. Bob