409 parts information

I am building a 1962 409 for a 1955 chevy 2nd series big back window pickup truck and I am looking for information about the best place to locate parts. I.E. Valve covers, oil pan, timing chain covers, etc.

engrguy

I did a 57 PU small back window with a 78 firebird front end graphed into it. Motor mounts were a challenge. Make sure and get the motor and transmission at the correct angle. Put a 409 in it with a 700r. Then later changed it to a 348 dual quads.

This is useful since I have graphed a 77 trans-am front end to this 55. Do you recall what you had to do in order to get the motor mounts to work?

engrguy

well this was a task. I had taken the cab and box off so it was just the frame as a roller. I had (still do have ). a 348 block I used for the mock up by adding the transmission on it. The big problem is making sure it was forward of the cab for the distributor but also allowing you as much room as you can for the radiator. Remember you have to make a radiator mount. I would start by placing the front end on the new grafted frame as that radiator mount will important. I had to lift the front of the front end up by building a lift mont of about 2 inches. The motor mounts were another thing. Be patient and you can make it work and it is worth it. I will try and get some pictures of the radiator mount that lifted the front end up (2 inch item above) and the motor mounts to help you some.