409 race engine

Gary C

Hi , I just bought a 409 short motor and heads.
The block numbers end in 656 and thinking this block is a truck block as calculated compression ratio comes out around 7.9 :1.
Is there anyway to measure across and down bore at valve relief to confirm it is in fact a truck block?

Thanks, Gary.

Gary C

I thought they all had the relief but the truck block larger?

Attachments

• IMG_1089(1).jpg
    IMG_1089(1).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1081(1).jpg
    IMG_1081(1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1082(1).jpg
    IMG_1082(1).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1083(1).jpg
    IMG_1083(1).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1084(1).jpg
    IMG_1084(1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 139

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your block pictured is a "truck" block, judging by the compression reliefs. But there were "car" blocks also without the reliefs. Or at least 1 that I have does not have them. Respectable looking parts there, judging by your pics.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies, I want to get the CR up to 10:1 so new pistons are needed.
Also after roller cam , and rockers.
The block came with roller lifters.
Iam in Australia and not much 409 gear laying around here.
Scorpion rockers seem to be the going thing. Probably have a distributor down there.
Roller cam, start hunting!
Jeff

Gary C

The engine builder checking it over says the pistons are 30 thou down from deck and he measured 85cc in combustion chamber and 25cc in head with 3.5 inch stock stroke.
The engine was built by Norm Beechey himself as a spare hillclimb engine.
Norm used to circuit race a 62 impala in Australia and very well known , he is now 91 years old.
I didn't want to change anything he did but 7.9:1 probably won't cut the mustard circuit racing in my 64 Impala.

427John

Well Known Member
You might take a close look at the pistons that are in it, if they have a fairly thick crown you may be able to run some BBC 6.135 rods and mill the pistons to zero deck them, that will bring the CR up some,I'd look into that before I sprung for new pistons.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Those are some NICE looking pistons. 25 cc and 85cc??? yea 7.8.... I'd be re ccing those things. I would expect no more than 12cc on the heads stock. hopfully about 75 or less in cylinder.