409 Replacement?

63ssConv

I am rebuilding my 63 and have been searching for a 409 to replace the stock 327. I bought an engine before doing my homework and it turned out to be a 348. Now I have located another engine but am unsure what it is. The owner tells me it was a replacement engine for a 409 that his father had trouble with in 64. The casting # on the block shows a 348 truck. Dipstick is on the pass. side and has a D shaped crank. The heads are 409 252 hp. and I had no luck with the intake or exhaust manifold #'s. What is it? Can anyone help me from wasting my money?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You will need to post all the casting nos. Block casting no. even the numbers on the right front deck pad, if any. Head casting nos. are neccessary to know an estimated value.

63ssConv

Thanks for your help. That's what I was thinking, but I was trying to wish it into a 409. I've been searching for 18 months now, I can't seem to find anything in my area and price range.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hope you can find a decent 409 truck engine. They are a great foundation to build a 409 street motor, however , even they are getting harder to find, especially at an affordable price. Good luck....

63ssConv

thanks again! I have about 3k to spend, I have nothing but time as my 327 runs fine. I geuss I'll find one eventually, I'm convinced that there is still one in an old barn somewhere!

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They make some real good stroker kits for the 348s. Show cars has it. They are not cheap but take a look. John

Sum1sellmea409

rwagon57 said:
409 crank in a 348 yields about 377 ci.

So it works? Yet another thing to watch out for at the swap meet. I figured that was a definitive way to tell. So the bottom line is never leave home without a list of casting numbers?

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Sum1sellmea409 said:
So it works? Yet another thing to watch out for at the swap meet. I figured that was a definitive way to tell. So the bottom line is never leave home without a list of casting numbers?

As I understand it the 409 crank in a 348 is as close to a straight drop in as there is. As always you want to check piston to valve clearances and piston height at TDC.

Yes, always take your casting number list with you:roll