409 Stroker Build

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
Nice advice boys. I want to do a little bit to my engine so I can run with guys like Lonnie. See I only have a little 340 horse and everything I consider leads me back to the fact that I have those 10 lb. stock pistons in there to deal with. That's why I think I might as well go with a stroker. I'm open to advice, cause you guys know I don't know much about it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Change the rear gear and you will have a smile on your face that will last a life time.
Some heads and new pistons and rods then cam and intake oh and carburetors and........ you get the drill.
I am running 4.56 gears with 9 x 28 slicks with stock 409/ 409 pistons.....Not that I would recommend that but it has put a smile on Toms and my face.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
WellMark,if you're going to run 11.50's like Lonnie,you're either going to need a very high rpm build for a stock stroke 409 $$$,or a moderate build 4 inch stroker motor.Either way,you're ENTIRE driveline will have to be upgraded/replaced to keep the car from breaking some thing.Broken parts will ruin your day!If you're going to set the car up to run that fast,start at the rear of the car first.Do not pass go,put a 9 inch[I'd suggest a 4.30 gear],the 4th.arm suspension parts,good aftermarket control arms and braces in it..Then attack the stock drive shaft.Once you get into the mid 12 second range,that transmission will need to be up graded.

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
I'm putting together my list for a new 9" set up.
Not sure of my rear end ratio. Not sure of how many RPM's I want to turn going across the line. I still have time.
Question: How many splines should I go with on the axles? Show Cars has from 28 to 40 splines. I don't know much about the topic.
Thanks Mark

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
spline can affect pocket book, always going to be track car?? and potential horsepower the car can see now and in the future. do it once with that in mind.

Quik9r

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Mark,
buy it from John's 9 not show cars. ask for Lynn I bought two from them so have others
3416.png

222.png
222.png

COPYRIGHT © 2017 JOHN'S INDUSTRIES INC. 100 AXLE DRIVE CASPIAN, MI 49915 PHONE: 906-265-9999 TOLL FREE: 800-332-3450 FAX: 906-265-4632
450.png

239.png

3079.jpg

DETROIT SPEED
“We only partner with vendors that have the same product quality standards that we do at Detroit Speed, build the best product possible…no excuses. I believe in John’s rear axle housings and use them in my personal cars and every project car we build. It is a quality piece.”
Kyle Tucker, Co-owner of
Detroit Speed, Inc

3079.jpg

RINGBROTHERS
“We have tried them all. John’s is the only company that consistently delivers quiet 9″ and other rears. Their customer service is second to none. Ringbrothers considers John’s as part of our family of top shops.”
Jim and Mike Ring
RingBrothers

3079.jpg

PETE AND JAKES
“The John’s Industries Team has always been great to work with, providing great service and a great product. Every chassis with a 9″ Ford leaving our shop is a John’s. Thanks for all the help over the years.”
Jerry and Jason Slover
Pete and Jake’s Hot Rod Part

3079.jpg

STREET RODS BY MICHAEL
“When my customer asked us to build him this 750hp Dura Max diesel Cab Over, I needed a rear end that would stand up to the horsepower so I called John's immediately.”
Michael Young
Street Rods by Michael

3079.jpg

Woody’s Hot Rodz
"Woody's Hot Rodz prides itself on being the Tri-Five Experts. From the cars we build to the parts we sell, quality is a key component to our success. We only use and sell John's Industries 9" rears for a reason; they simply are the best in the business."
Woody's Hot Rodz LLC
3080.jpg
3080.jpg
3080.jpg
3080.jpg
3080.jpg