409 stroker with 454 crank

kyle573

Has anyone done this? I picked up a 409 and a set of 333 truck heads. I want to build a high performance motor that can still run on pump gas. The motor will go in a street rod that will be driven. Also what recomendations for a manual transmission. Someone told me a t5? thanks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
333 heads

You mentioned "high performance" build, but I have to ask what horsepower range you would like to be in. Not sure what you can get out of those 333 heads, but other options are more expensive. Actually, modifyng the 454 crank can be somewhat expensive in terms of machine time/shop time. Given enough time and money, most anything (within reason) can be accomplished. Lots of new lighter stronger products these days, better pistons, valves, springs, cams, that sort of thing. You will have many options :).

So we need to know approximately what kind of horses you seek to harness, and if you have any budgetary restrictions :).

I built a stroker engine using a 1964 truck block, Ross pistons, BBC rods, and a 396/427 crankshaft. Runs pretty good in a street driven 1962 Impala. I use pump gas, pistons are 10:1. I went with an original Borg Warner T-10 four speed because I was trying to remain stock-like. Rear end is a posi with 3.36 gears, kinda sluggish out of the gate, but rolls down the road well :).

Best,
TomK

cabriolet409

Well Known Member
I wouldn't be able to comment on the stroker issues, but I have successfully mated a Richmond Street 5 transmission to a '65 409 block using the standard aluminum bellhousing. I used a hydraulic clutch with that set-up.:)

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tremec TKO600

Kyle573,
I don't know what type of rod you are building, but based on my experience
ant the experience of other hotrod builders a 5 speed is the way to go in a light car. My current 32' Highboy has a Tremec TKO 600 with the taller first gear and 4.11 rear gears. Should give much better milage. The milage is a big deal with only 12 gallons on board. A real issue in my first car that had a 4 speed and the same 4.11's.

The black attached picture ( Removed) is of a TKO 600 behind a Buick Nailhead in a hotrod costing more than 250K. Nice and clean even when stuffed between Deuce rails.

This is only my opinion, I am sure others here will have differing ideas.:bow :bow :D
Robert

Attachments

• P1000121small.jpg
    P1000121small.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 85
  • P1000148small.jpg
    P1000148small.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 72

jr.W

Well Known Member
From what I have heard the t-5 is weak they can be broken with a 305. If
you only plan on cruising maybe it would be ok but any serious beating and
you may have to walk home. Just what I have heard.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The TKO-500 and TKO-600 series transmissions will take everything a W-engine can give them and more. They're really the way to go if you want a manual transmission in a non-stock or "period correct" car, heavy or light.

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
Eagle has a new 4" stroke 4340 steel crank for the W engines. You might want to check with them and compare what a machine shop will charge you to get the BBC crank to fit.

440940026135 is the number

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I don't think a 333 head will flow enough for a 470 plus cubic inch motor and 6500 rpm. The 690-583 heads struggle in stock form. Do your homework before you build. That way you only spend money once. Lots of good guys here, they will help!:cheers