409 truck block

59impalaconv

hi i was wondering what flywheel i should use for my 409? i will be running a 700r4 transmission. Its a mild build goimg in a 59 impala convertible. my question is will a BBC or SBC work? I looked at other post and it seems like i need a 168 tooth flywheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jacob.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GM dealer , B&M or TCI. Or find a good used one. I'm sure some of these fellers have one to sell. My stuff is all 4-speed.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
check your local machine shop. some times they have one laying around that they balanced and was not picked
up or paid for. jim

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Technically it's a flexplate. Manual trannys use a flywheel. I think our fearless leader Bob said he got one for a 66 or 67 396 with an automatic at the parts store and it worked perfect for his 409.

I tried a regular small or big block flexplate and had a vibration from 1500 to 2100 RPM. I then found out from this site that 409 cranks have some kind of bevel on the end of the crank where the flexplate mounts and a regular one will not tighten up right. I tried rotating mine on all three different positions and it did not help. I contacted Show Cars and they had the right one. Some guys on this sight also talked about some kind of spacer. Show cars said that i wpuld not need the spacer. Putting on their flexplate cured the problem. I was converting from a cast iron powerglide to a turbo 350 on a 65 409 truck block. The one with the powerglide had some teeth problems and also vibrated.