409 turbo-torque label?

doc396

Well Known Member
has anyone ever seen a 409 turbo-torque or super turbo-torque engine label? maybe a late 61 or early 62? or even a aftermarket one?

M

MK IISS

doc: I just saw a label on the air cleaner of a '58 348 Impala that said " HIGH TORQUE 348". The car is at a collector car dealer in Mount Dora Fl. where I visit about once a year. I have seen the same car at this dealer for at least three years and it did not have the label in the past. Maybe this is a new reproduction label that came out recently and there may be a similar one for 409s. I believe they may be for truck engines....I never saw one on 348 cars when they were new.

doc396

Well Known Member
i was wondering if anyone had ever seen one because in the shop manual that is printed before the cars arrive at the dealers (i hope) calls the 62 409 turbo torque/super turbo toque. i have not seen any origanal 61 409 cars in person, did they have a decal on the engine saying 409 turbo fire when new? or anything to show they were not a 348? i seen old magazine articals on the 61 409 but can't remember any engine pics. dennis

M

MK IISS

doc: The '61 409 did not have any decals announcing, the cubic inches, horsepower, or torque. The same goes for the 348s from 1958-1961. 1962 was the first year for valve cover decals.

doc396

Well Known Member
i never knew that. i just asumed the 348 engine had at least horse power decals. all of the ones of my family/friends when i was growing up were 6 clys. or small blocks. doc

M

MK IISS

doc: The people who manufacture valve cover and air cleaner decals/stickers make a decal/sticker for just about every horsepower version of all the different Chevy V8s...even for engines that didn't have decals/stickers originally. The reason is obvious.....$$. Because they are available, people stick 'em on.

doc396

Well Known Member
i have a old set of W valve covers, if i ever see a label for tubo torque i will buy just to hang on the garage wall. that will get some conversations started! :cheers