409 turck engine

No409

Supporting Member 1
found a 409 at a local junkyard. its pulled out, been stored indoors for 20+ years
dude says it came out of a c80. its totally complete, air cleaner to oil pan.

my question is, will this be a 1 valve relief block or 2?

its a 656 casting.

does anyone think its worth $1500

No409... Sounds like you're about to get one :deal

$1000 is going price on a truck engine. You're still going to need a few car parts:
distributor
water pump
pulleys
brackets

But don't fret... you can build a whole lot out of that core :deal

The "two relief" block applies to some truck 348's only.
The 409 truck block will only have one. It's a great place to start :deal

No409

Supporting Member 1
ok, cool thanks Aubrey

i really only want the block and tin, i want to build a 409 for my 55. i just wasnt sure about the valve relief thing.

i have a 348 truck block, and was told that you can bore them out to a 409 bore. is this true?

if thats the case, ill just use that motor

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tom

The way I understand it, the only 348 block that MAY be safe to bore to standard 409 is the #655 casting. It was used in the 63-65 trucks but only had one notch. You would have to have it sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness before you had it bored though. Am I correct on this Aubrey?
Glad to hear you're putting a W in that 55! :brow :clap NUT

No409

Supporting Member 1
yea i have a 655 block, 1 valve relief, standard bore out of a truck

i cant wait till i get a 409 in the 55.

i also want to build one for my drag boat

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
NO409, Even if you can bore out your 348 to 409 specs, you still won't have a 409 as the 348 has a shorter stroke. And the cylinder wall thickness will be marginal at best. I would get the 09 truck motor but $1500 seems a little steep to me (but I'm pretty cheap) I wouldn't pay more then $1000 for it.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had a 65 655 348 truck block that was bored to std 409. It ran fine but it did run a little hot. The hot problem could have been a number of other things (high compression, ignition timing?) I bought the engine already bored out so I have no idea how thick the walls were. Its still running today and I put quite a few miles on that engine for the short time I had it.
Ross

No409

Supporting Member 1
if i use my 655 block, i will be running a stock stroke 409 crank, and probally around 10 to 1. i plan on using it as a daily driver in the summer. the 427 in it now is 11 to 1, and im just gonna keep it in for this summer, till i get a 409 in it.

the yard that has the 409 motor is a real piece of work.
the guy wants $1500 for the 409, and my buddys looking for a 400 SBC.
they have a rebuildable one there, and the guy wants $2000!!!!

we asked why the 409 was cheaper than the 400, and the guys reply was" those motors are junk, nothing but a usless truck motor"

if its junk, why do you want $1500.

im not sure if im gonna pick it up

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That's insane! :eek: I wouldn't deal with the guy just for spite :cuss I'd say 1,000 is fair if I knew the block and heads weren't cracked and the crank was good. I'd say check out your 655 before stooping to this guy's level. NUT

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
No409 said:
and my buddys looking for a 400 SBC.
they have a rebuildable one there, and the guy wants $2000!!!!
Am I reading this right? He wants $2000 for a rebuildabe 400 SB? Wow!!! That is way out of line! Worse than today's diesel fuel prices. :brow

Wish you were closer. I have a '78 and I was thinking $200 would be a closer figure.
Ron

No409...
Unfortunately, this guy sounds like a fool. To me, a 400 is practically worthless ( too much superior aftermarket stuff available ).
$1500 is high for the 409... but as Nut said, it's not insane.

Take your 655 block, bore it .065", stroke with a 427 crank ( costs about $800 ), and you have a "409" ! :deal

Unless necessary, I wouldn't bore past .060". It WILL take it, but we should preserve it.

No409

Supporting Member 1
yea, drag boat,

i picked up a 1963 spico hull 17', casale v-drive, 62 pontiac 389, with 68 ram air 1 heads and intake, holley 750, all nicson accessorys. came from california in 03.

boats really cool, bright yellow, black bench seat, it has reverse which i hear is pretty uncommon for a old casale box, foot throttle w/ moon pedal, all s/w gagues, its a pretty bad boat. i dont rev it much past 5000rpm, being a pontiac, but is still good for about 70 mph.

its more fun just crusing the lake, and listining to the exhaust. its through the transom, not over the hull. sounds like a pretty lumpy cam in it.
not the fastest boat on the lake, but a pretty cool one.

napabob

Spico

No409 said:
yea, drag boat,

i picked up a 1963 spico hull 17', casale v-drive, 62 pontiac 389, with 68 ram air 1 heads and intake, holley 750, all nicson accessorys. came from california in 03.

boats really cool, bright yellow, black bench seat, it has reverse which i hear is pretty uncommon for a old casale box, foot throttle w/ moon pedal, all s/w gagues, its a pretty bad boat. i dont rev it much past 5000rpm, being a pontiac, but is still good for about 70 mph.

its more fun just crusing the lake, and listining to the exhaust. its through the transom, not over the hull. sounds like a pretty lumpy cam in it.
not the fastest boat on the lake, but a pretty cool one.

I was wondering how much you paid for your Spico.

Boat

Well Known Member
I'm building a 409 boat too. My father in law has a nice pile of goodies waiting to go in a Lebel flatbottom. I have some work to do on the trailer and the fiberglass (too much sun). Mine's all Nicson too. All for sweat equity.

Later,

No409

Supporting Member 1
i didnt get that motor. its still there, if anyones interested in it, ill get you the number to the place