409 Vette?

heddrik

Well Known Member
I do know a very few 409s were put in Chevelles, guy I know had a strange motor and called GM on it. Car was special made for a famous customizer, can t remember his name but we found it years ago.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
While working at a Chevy dealership some guys would come in and order a complete engine assembly. If it was the current year, if you wanted to wait, you could order what was known as an assembly line engine. This had from air cleaner to exh manifolds. What you put it in was your business. This gave the appearance of a “factory built” car.
One time we ordered a 61 283 Fi engine assembly. Then the dealership installed it in an Austin Healy 3000.
Very possible the Chevelle got this same treatment.
Who knows.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you Pat. Coddington was his name, Boyd Cottington.
So Boyd was in School and working for Disneyland in 1968 and didn't get famous until the early-mid 70's. Opened his own shop in 1977. What Chevelle in the 70's did GM put a 409 in? I don't doubt that Boyd put a 409 in just about anything with wheels. I have a poster of his 1964 Impala Conv custom up in my garage :D.
11a.jpg

heddrik

Well Known Member
It was a 65 according to my friend. The motor numbers were all unusual so he called Chevrolet. They found the car in California and he sold the engine to GM, not sure how much.

427John

Well Known Member
The guy I bought most of my W stuff from had swapped a W into a late 60's chevelle but that was in the 90's.

Junky

Well Known Member
Someone please help me settle an argument I'm having with a know-it-all (doesn't everybody know at least one? Don't include yourselves). He claims to know someone who has/had an original factory installed 409 Corvette, year unknown. I don't think there ever was such an animal, but am willing to bow to his or anyone else's superior knowledge.

Tell this to the know it all!!!!!!

idiot.jpg