409 what's it worth?

4d9r

Well Known Member
Now that I got your attention..not selling one but asking what I should pay for one. I know it's worth whatever the seller can get for it but can I get some ball park numbers for what these motors are selling for? I'm working to build a 409 or 425hp with the 2x4 for a '31 Vicky project and I can't find anything under 5K (core long block) Thanks

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
4d9r. Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. As far as prices go, If you are dead set on a 409 -425, well, $5,000 for a rebuildable core is the going price. In fact, that sounds reasonable for todays prices. A better way to go would be to find a complete truck engine and go from there. You might be able to find one of those for about $2,000 and use the Offy 2x4 intake. 690 heads are rare and expensive and getting more expensive day by day. Even the truck motor will be expensive to build. It is what we put up with to own a w-head motor. Good luck.:)

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Welcome! At today's prices, you are looking at $15K (425 HP) when you are finished. Buy a complete one or build one, it works out the same... Are you sure you want to do this? It is cheaper to get a new 572 crate motor....

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
stroker 348

Use a 348 block and 4" crank to get the big cubes and it still looks the same at less than half the price. You could build a 450 hp engine for under $5000 with all new internal parts. Bare block and bare heads is all that's needed to start. The pic is of a 399 cube in my 62 belair. 348 block/409 crank, bored block offset ground crank. Could go much larger with a bigger crank. Nice kits available from Show Cars and others in the $2000 neighborhood. Good luck.

Attachments

• 399.JPG
    399.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 95

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
'jus wondering...What do you all think the value of a set of 690's is. Low mileage never been modified,surfaced etc. from a verylow mileage car. Never been apart with original springs,retainers,etc. 1963 date casting

4d9r

Well Known Member
models916 said:
Use a 348 block and 4" crank to get the big cubes and it still looks the same at less than half the price. You could build a 450 hp engine for under $5000 with all new internal parts. Bare block and bare heads is all that's needed to start. The pic is of a 399 cube in my 62 belair. 348 block/409 crank, bored block offset ground crank. Could go much larger with a bigger crank. Nice kits available from Show Cars and others in the $2000 neighborhood. Good luck.

Thanks. Good advice for what I'm looking for as it's not going into a numbers matching restoration but a hot rod. You're 348 looks great. I didn't really look at the 348 before because we always thought of them as truck engines back in the 60's. Your's is not what I thought of when thinking about that motor!