409 z bar ID

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Hello everyone it’s been a minute since I’ve been on here but my 409’is getting stronger every time I drive it. But I’m starting to think I have a SBC z bar in my car right now because my adjustment is maxed out. Is there an easy way to identify the 409 z bar from the SBC?

Thank you.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 1962-1964 - 283, 327 z bar arms are 3 & 3/8 inches ( both arms the same length )
The 409 z bar has one arm ( the lower one) that is shorter 2 & 7/8 inches and the upper z bar arm is 3 & 3/8 inches
These 409 shorter arm reduces the adjustment available to only the threaded upper rod.

Also the 409 style clutch fork ( with one bend in the arm and no slot in the fork is about one inch closer to
the Z bar arm ( use of different clutch forks changes the adjustment.)
409 clutch linkage and 327 clutch linkage if all the linkage matches - “has only upper clutch rod linkage Adjustment”

409 clutch linkage is unique and it’s important to not mix linkage from different years (The one option I list below
does give you adjustment in two places

i have switched clutch forks on one of my 409’s to one with a slot and also switched to the threaded longer 59-60 lower rod -
all to get adjustment on the upper rod “and” adjustment on the lower threaded 59-60 style rod & pin.

Paul

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Yea I have my show cars catalog. I will refer to that image. My fork does have the little crater that the push rod goes through with little nipple. Thank you guys so much I’ll see what z bar I have when I get home in a few days. Any the only place I can see to adjust my clutch is the upper clutch rod.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Okay it appears I have a small block z bar the #5321 in the show cars catalog. Does the #4289 with the shorter arm (2-7/8”) give me more adjustment?

Reactions: 327