409's in dragsters?

409 Willy

Supporting Member 1
Twin Engine 409 Dragster-yahoo!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Bud, when I read about what you want to do with 2 409's in a front engine dragster I got sweaty palms, and my heart rate sped up. I can see and hear it now, I think that is a bitchin idea!!!!!!! Back in 1962 my buddy Hubox bought a 62 Corvette, we took the engine out and swapped it for a 425 HP 409. We took the 409 apart, bored it .125" over, yes I said .125, put 12:1 Forgredtrue pistons in it, huge AFBs and put it back in the vette. All of the small block guys called it a boat anchor until It ran low 10s with 8" tires. Man was that car strong. We ran into Hayden Proffitt at the 1962 Worlds fair Drags at Kent Washington and showed him the car. He said the .125 over was fine as long as you didn't drive it on the street and get it hot.That made the 409 a 433, and man it was fast for the time. Anyway, ya, go for it, I would love to see a twin engine 409 dragster! Maybe at the Nostalgia reunion in Bakersfield next year?
Good Luck!
409 Willy

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409 Willy are you referring to the March meet, if so I'll be there in March. Also Nut I raced 348 in super stock and raced small block in 55 chevy C gasser. The dragster didn't belong to me but I loved driving it. Front engine dragsters are about the ultimate are far as thrills. I wish I had one now, I'd put a W motor in it and probably have another heart attack. I don't know if I could get that excited at my age. :roll P.S. Nut I'm glad I'm in Fla. and not visiting you right now. :clap Roy

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
dual engines

I believe Eddie Hill from Wichita Falls, Texas built one of the very first dual engine dragsters in about 1957. He had side by side blown Pontiac engines and ran dual slicks. I saw him run at the old Green Valley Raceway (home of the old AHRA Nationals) in 1958 or 1959.

W Head
1959 El Camino 348 3, 2s
1959 Impala 409 dual 4s

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred we're outside of Orlando will be here until 1-2-05 and then going farther south. We'll be farther south until the end of Jan. Speaking of dual engine dragsters, the 3 most successful we're Tom Ivo, Howard Cams [ driven by Jack Chrisman] and the Freight Train. I saw the Bustle Bomb, Bean Bandits and Brisset Brothers the later 2 being flathead powered. All these were in the early 50's. I was still in high school. That was in the days of inovation not cookie cutter. :clap Roy

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The reason I was asking, I'm going to Port Charlotte Dec. 29th. Coming back Jan. 15th. or 16th. If you are going to be near there, let me know. This is for Richard Martin, also. Maybe we can get together again, Richard. Hope so.
I saw the Howard's cam car at Beechmont dragstrip in Cincinnati in about 57 or 58. Had 2 SBC side by side as I remember. That was a long time ago, so might be off on that a little. Was impressive at the time. My cousin took me, and it was my first trip to a drag strip. I don't remember it making a huge impression on me, though. Had to do something, though, for me to remember it. Went to Edgewater on the west side on Cincy a couple times in 61 to watch. Then, I got my 58 Convertible with the 315 in it, and went racing. The bug had bitten. Cost me a fortune over the next 43 years, and continues today!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

M

MK IISS

Fred: As of now my father is doing much better and I can get away long enough to come down and see you. Or you could come up here and we could meet at Shoney's again.

Richard

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Meeting

Shoney's was pretty expensive, Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can meet 1/2 way, or any where you think I can find. Look forward to it.
Will probably be a little quieter. Just 2 of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That 3rd guy will be up to his butt in snow, and won't be able to get down there again :brow I hope he doesn't know who I'm talking about!!!!!!!!! :) Do you think I could get him to take me to Shoney's again?

Fred

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, we're going to be near you from 1-2-05 to 1-9-05. If you want to get together then we'll hookup here and make plans. As for the Howards Cam car, I saw it first on it's maiden voyage at Lions. It didn't have the blowers on the engines then. They had carbs on the engines with canted spacers so the carbs would be level. They pushed it up and the engines fired, turned around and hit it, the rail stood right up on it;s push bar. It came down and Jack got on it again and took on through. I would have shut it off and checked things out before making a run at speed. Dragster drivers died in droves back in those days. The car was the same as Tom Ivo's Buicks, messed flywheels with one engine turning in reverse to the other. Ivo never put blowers on his. He ran Hilborns. When NHRA banned fuel that was what gave the big boom to dual engine cars. Also there was a few airplane engined dragsters but they weren't competitive. They were just to heavy. Maybe we will see you soon Fred. :) Roy

wagon409

Merry Christmas!!

Since a few of you think I am full of it, just thought I might share something I found on-line today.

This is the building I bought from Anderson and Son's and put up myself from 2002-2003.

http://www.lesterbuildingsystems.com/pictures/detail.cfm?orderNo=112997&current=1&step=1

This is the building I put up in 2000.

http://www.lesterbuildingsystems.com/pictures/detail.cfm?orderNo=410395&current=1&step=1

Not bragging, but just thought this might get me some of what appears to be hard-earned respect from the regulars on this board.

Once again, have a great christmas...take care and stay warm. Down to -8 at our place last night....ouch!!

Marc Rexroad

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
2-409 dragster

Marc, there is definitely no lack of respect. I applaud your efforts. I hope it works and you are pleased with the outcome. I, for one, would love to see that dragster run the first time. I just think it is a lot of money and effort for what you will get. Just my opinion. But it will be one bitchin car.
hey, it's your dream. Do it.

Fred