425 horse idler fit

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Guys were there any spacers behind the lower idler mount that would bush the bracket out to line up with the pulleys ? I am test fitting everything befpre I final install and that bracket needs to be off the block by a good 1/4 inch to line it up ..I am using GM deep groove 2 row pulleys:dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Line up

I don't have any spacers on mine. Lines up just fine. Is your Dampener on as far as it will go?

Fred

gearhead409

Well Known Member
should bolt to the block with no spacers. Fred has a good point about the crank pulley. if the water pump pulleys are off, you may have the wrong pump and/or pulleys. also are you sure you have 409 brackets on that idler pulley? the 348 brackets are a little differant.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
hmmm...how many differnt pumps were there ? I have a large bearing with the smaller or standard diameter flange....were there taller or shorter W pumps ? Its not the Balancer

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
4onthe floor,
I tried to post a picture but some reason, it wouldn't load. If you do a search of my posts, I did post a picture of my pulleys on 7-14-05. Perhaps it will help.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pump???????

I'm not sure on the pump. I think there were 2 passenger car pumps. Maybe the 65 pump stuck out farther. I really don't know. Gearhead will probably be able to answer that. Shouldn't really be any alignment problem, though. No spacers any where.

Fred

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bingo...thought I would get the big bearing for strength...back to the drawing board.

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
'64 was when they went to the 1 piece w/p pulley w/2rooves. But your problem is with the idler. The upper idler bracket went on TOP of the lower generator bkt in '62. When tyey went to the alt in '63, that bracket was eliminated so they welded a square nut on the back of the upper idler bkt to move out where it wass. (same bkt as for the p/s pump). Make sure you're not using a '62 upper pump/idler bkt.