427 crank

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hello to all...I just got a call from an old friend that said he had a 427 crank cut and ready for a 409.
The mains are standard and rods are 40 over. anybody an idea on how much I should pay for this? thanks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I had a 396/427 crank cut down to 409 specs about 6-7 years ago and the labor cost was about $800. Much more expensive than the readily available 454 cranks that have been prepped for the 409. So there's your high water cost.

Might ask someone else about the 40 over on the rods. I assume that is in relation to the 409 specs?

Good luck!
TomK

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for the quick reply, Tom . So now my question is, is there any benefit to using the 454 verses the 427 crank. Should I just get one of 454's instead of using his and make the 427 crank into lamp??

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Besides gaining 30 plus cubic inches with the 4 in stroke crank-[and a like amount of torque],you'll likely find that .040 undersize bearings will be problematic.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I thought that .040" might pose a problem.

Aubrey can chime in here, he recommended the 3.75 inch stroke along with a certain set of Ross forged pistons and a solid lifter camshaft for my particular build. One distinction is where in the RPM range that 396/427 crank-based engine develops it's power.

Best to locate bearings first if you're still interested in making an offer :).

Best,
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used a 427 crank for my build and the cost was 505.00 and when it was done both the mains rod journals were standard.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm going to back away from this crank. Thanks guys for your help.

Yes, Tom... the 427 crank will move the power curve up a bit in RPM, over a 4.00" stroke.
BTW... a rather embarassing mistake on my part. A 366/396/427 crank, I thought, was 3.76" stroke.
It's actually 3 .766".
When determining optimum piston / deck height, this is critical.

For serious performance / racing, using large port heads that still resemble their factory configuration, I still do, and always will prefer the 3.766" stroke over the 4.00". :deal
INSTANT RPM, with a higher RPM limit.... and at 446 to 464" or so CID, the cylinder volume doesn't get ahead of the cylinder head's ability.

4.00" stroke ?
If I EVER free up some money from this intake manifold... I'll build one for my tow rig;)

I would run one of my 4” stroker motors up against your 3.766 stroker motors any day heads up if you like :brow

WEll, it wouldn't be MINE:grumble:bang... because I'll never have enough money for the oil filter:bang
However...
Right now, I'm doing a 452 inch engine for a fellow. Yeah... If I can talk him into just a little more serious valve train... yup... you're on:deal ... and he'll have just a single 4 barrel;)

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Everyone should remember it's not the cubic inches or the stroke the trans gear raito the tire size, rearend ratio the weight of the car or suspension and shock system and cam profile, plus many other small things that make a car run quick and strong. It's a combination of all. The driver also has a little part in this.:laugh:laugh

just a second here....
133 MPH ???? :eek
what the hell is THAT ???????
Nope, I can't build a street W block that'll do THAT :hide no matter what stroke:no
:bow
;)
Guess I better just stick with my Stocker:yawn
:hide

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, Tom... the 427 crank will move the power curve up a bit in RPM, over a 4.00" stroke.
BTW... a rather embarassing mistake on my part. A 366/396/427 crank, I thought, was 3.76" stroke.
It's actually 3 .766".
When determining optimum piston / deck height, this is critical.

For serious performance / racing, using large port heads that still resemble their factory configuration, I still do, and always will prefer the 3.766" stroke over the 4.00". :deal
INSTANT RPM, with a higher RPM limit.... and at 446 to 464" or so CID, the cylinder volume doesn't get ahead of the cylinder head's ability.

4.00" stroke ?
If I EVER free up some money from this intake manifold... I'll build one for my tow rig;)

You might have something there. Years ago talking to Donnie Shaffer he told us his short stroke engine was faster than his 4" stoker and his brother who built the engines knows his stuff. I though about doing 450 incher, but decided to do the 4" inch again to keep rpm down and help the longevity.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK,
Here is a few places ill be

Thompson May31st June1st
Cecil County June 8 ?
Beaver Springs July 13-14
Byron dragway July 20-21 ?
Lebanon Valley Dragway, Aug 10-11
New England Dragway Sep 12-14

If you are going to Byron for the meltdown deal let me know. You just have to get rid of the modern wheels and cowl hood or trust me they will not let you run.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Would love to see Brian's car run at the meltdown drags. Might have to add that to the list for this year