427 tall deck BBC

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Quick question:

Does anyone have any experience installing a tall deck 427 (BBC truck engine) under the hood of a 1962 Chevrolet? Not sure if clearance is an issue. Also, same for exhaust fitting.

Thanks in advance!

TomK

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The heads will sit .282" higher, and .282" further to the left and right, respectively, than the 9.800" deck height car block. (Truck block having a 10.200" deck height.) I don't know if it will fit. Spacer plates required to use low deck intake manifold.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Buildit:

Thanks for the insight! Am hoping that the quarter inch (.282") won't queer the deal. I recognize the differences between the truck block/engine and the passenger car engine, but wasn't sure if the heighth would be a challenge. I've seen 427s in 1962 Chevys, but wasn't sure if they were tall decks or not. Also interested in exhaust manifold clearance. Hopefully someone here has experience in those types of installs.

Cheers!
TomK

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Headers may need some hammering. .282 doesn't sound like much. but if clearance is already tight???
I have one that I was going to put in my 64. Have old Hookers that where a job to put in with the 9.800 deck block.Can you dummy it in with a bare block and heads?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I put a 572 tall deck motor in a 67 chevelle with 2 inch hooker headers. What a pain in the ass! If I had to do it again I would go 2 inch headers uncoated, fit them, and then send them to be coated. Real tight EVERYWHERE! Not an x frame but you get the idea.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The heads will sit .282" higher, and .282" further to the left and right, respectively, than the 9.800" deck height car block. (Truck block having a 10.200" deck height.) I don't know if it will fit. Spacer plates required to use low deck intake manifold.

If the deck is .400" higher, wouldn't the heads sit .400" higher as well? Or do you mean vertical height say from the oil pan rail versus height from the actual deck surface?

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
.400" x sine of 45 degrees = .282" change in vertical height, and also in the horizontal plane.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay I gotcha now. Yes the overall package would be that much taller and wider even though the heads sit .400" higher compared to the standard blocks.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Who ever thought back in 8th grade that Trigonometry would have practical value in calculating such dimensions? I guess the ratio of two sides of a right triangle can become important given the right situation :).

I am now rethinking my previous tall deck options, and am browsing for a passenger-based early 396 or 427. I have a lead on a 396 that looks promising, but am in no hurry. I still like driving her with the dual quad 409 :).

Best,
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wish you were closer Tom. I could let you pick from a few different 396's.....or fix you up with a 454 block & 396 crank so you could build a 427. Also, the 2 - 1/8" tube Hooker headers for squeezing it into the X-frame.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Wish you were closer Tom. I could let you pick from a few different 396's.....or fix you up with a 454 block & 396 crank so you could build a 427. Also, the 2 - 1/8" tube Hooker headers for squeezing it into the X-frame.

Georgia is not that far away!! And Tom is getting the summer off from college!!! You never know.................

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Summer session starts anew on June 3rd, so the life of an academic does have a few requirements. The good news is that I am not building any houses this summer. Last year I did four in addition to a full teaching/research workload, and it nearly took me down :). Plus whenever I build I go over budget and that comes out of my pocket. My overages in the past two years cost me a Z-11 :).

But July looks good at this point....

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a 3 1/2" cowl induction over my standard deck big block. It gives me room to clear a Team G single plane, 1" carb spacer, and a 14"x3" air cleaner that is NOT the dropped-base style. I want to go back to the stock style hood, but between removing the spacer and going to a dropped air cleaner it would cost my engine quite a bit of power. I'm thinking of doing it anyway and just swapping the taller hood & carb spacer on for track duty.

On my car the real clearance issues are valve cover to master cylinder (Extra tall Milodon covers & dual reservoir master cylinder) and header to steering shaft. A tall deck would complicate that stuff further.