427 Z-11 rears

monzaz

Did they do anything special to the rear diffs to beef them up or use something totally different? Just wondering...I build diffs and curious...

Thanks, Jim

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
They were the same as all the others. They broke often or were replaced with a Pontiac or Old rear end assembly. One common misconception is that the Z-11 had the second upper control arm from the factory. They didn't but it was quickly added after the fact.
Ross

monzaz

retro fit

So how close was that fit? welding and moving mounts or no?

Again this MAY be a well known to you guys so please let me know if I am going over redundancy.

Thanks for all the great info.

I just do not want this info to die off as it seems the old school tricks are falling way side . More people want the Old school retro fits and we /me the younger guy likes to know how they use to do the set-ups the way they were done in the day. Pictures etc. would be great.

Jim MItschke

Speed

Supporting Member 1
So how close was that fit? welding and moving mounts or no?

Again this MAY be a well known to you guys so please let me know if I am going over redundancy.

Thanks for all the great info.

I just do not want this info to die off as it seems the old school tricks are falling way side . More people want the Old school retro fits and we /me the younger guy likes to know how they use to do the set-ups the way they were done in the day. Pictures etc. would be great.

Jim MItschke

Jim,
At that time it was the way to go..mounting wasnt a big problem (close measurements, etc. )
Obviously these days the 9" Ford is great, but the pontiac would be a strong " vintage" deal.......
Back in the day, most didn't know that the ponticac rear was even in our Z-11. (axles, redrilled for Chev bolt pattern and chev backing plates and brakes were used.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just made a deal for a friend and purchased the 12 bolt rear end out of the Bill Burge car that was matched raced in the 80's and featured in Super chevy magazine in the late 80's. A really slick set up with boxed lower swing arms, fabricated brackets for the two uppers and a track locating bar. Will post pictures and fill in the rest of the story later.

Kevin (Quik9r)

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was a very common trick to install 30 Spline Mopar spider gears in the stock Posi carrier. Then you could install much stronger 30 spline axles. Here's something else interesting.......I was reading one of my old Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine from the mid-Sixities and it had a great Technical article by Bill Jenkins on how to make those early Chevy rear axles survive the rigors of drag racing. It was VERY interesting! Get this........The Grump would drill and tap into a very strategic and thought-out location in the front of the cast iron center section and install a 1/2-20 fine thread bolt with bronze brazing built up on the tip. He would tighten the bolt up against the ring gear itself lightly and then back it off and set it with something like .005 clearance. This along with carrier cap braces and Service Package spider gears was what he used in his '62 409's and even Old Reliable IV, his famous '63 Z-11 car. It'd be interesting to see if that modified center section is still in the car.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh yeah, guess I forget to mention what Bill said about that! Sorry. He said it prevents ring gear and thus carrier from "walking" and deflection. I'm gonna go dig that article up and try to post it later on tonight or tomorrow morning. Neat stuff!

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When you launch the car, the pinion wants to push the ring gear to the side at the same time it is turning the ring gear, that side movement stretches the cap and bolts on that side. now everything is out of spec and you are under full power. :crazy
The bolt was probably to keep the ring gear from side movement. My guess. :cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the Bill Burge car now???? Why is the rearend being sold???? That was a beautiful red 63 Z-11 replica car the last time I saw it!!!

The original Z-11 factory built cars.........the rearend housing was stock. But the Z-11's had different axles...fine splined. And the posi side gears were different because they were fine splined also. I tried ordering axles for my 63 in 1965 and the order was rejected. You had to have a VIN to get the axles!!!!!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
support bolt

I recall setting up big truck differentials that had a ring gear support bolt. Brass or bronze insert on the bolt I believe. Used so the ring gear would not walk away from the pinion under heavy load. It worked on big trucks, should work on our small differentials as well.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Jim,
At that time it was the way to go..mounting wasnt a big problem (close measurements, etc. )
Obviously these days the 9" Ford is great, but the pontiac would be a strong " vintage" deal.......
Back in the day, most didn't know that the ponticac rear was even in our Z-11. (axles, redrilled for Chev bolt pattern and chev backing plates and brakes were used.

Jim..
Reading Your comment, I thought you wanted "old school" stuff....
thus the pontiac rear info as best i can tell it....Hotchkiss actually put a chrysler rear in his Z-11 ..

more & more I love having been there and keeping it to myself.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle......

Heck, You could tell he magazine guys you tried a Corvair rear..they'd print it.

The factory rear only held up (barely) , on the Jack May owned , Larry Wilson Driven, Hank Gabbert (now owned & beautifully restored), Z-11.......

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I recall setting up big truck differentials that had a ring gear support bolt. Brass or bronze insert on the bolt I believe. Used so the ring gear would not walk away from the pinion under heavy load. It worked on big trucks, should work on our small differentials as well.

My Massey Ferguson tractor has the ring gear support bolt too but I don't think it will fit under th 60 :scratch

TONY0707

Well Known Member
My 425 Hp -409 Was She Ever Fine !

Hi Guys-held A Track Record In Super Stock----islip Speedway -long Island New York--and A Lot Of Street Racing---i Would Blow A Stock Rear Every 6 Months As A Rule--8 Inch Slicks Or Casler Cheeta Slicks On The Street A Lot---the Biggest Problem Was Setting Up The Rears ----and I Had The Best People Around Do Mine-----it Is Not An Exact Science--there Is Some Hit And Miss As To How You Crush The Pinion Collar--mostly Ran 488--514 And 538 Rears For The 1/8 Mile ---had 336 Rear In Sometimes For The Winter Months--would Only Race From A 20 Mile An Hour Roll With Those---won A Lot---but I Was There Racing Back In The Day --with My Brand New 425hp--409 Super Sport---it Was So-- Such The Thing To Be Doing Then--was The Fastest Street Car -on Crossbay Bulivard--at The Big Bow Wow --one Summer-- Ahhhh--- The Memories Run Deep--enjoy Regards Tony Lentini---had Whilaway -written Across My Two Front Fenders Of My Burgandy 1963 Supersport- Some Guys Did The Name Thing Then---the White Lady--the Outcast--the Farmer Were Just A Few--all Nasty Running Chevys With Reputations That Proceeded Them

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Guys-held A Track Record In Super Stock----islip Speedway -long Island New York--and A Lot Of Street Racing---i Would Blow A Stock Rear Every 6 Months As A Rule--8 Inch Slicks Or Casler Cheeta Slicks On The Street A Lot---the Biggest Problem Was Setting Up The Rears ----and I Had The Best People Around Do Mine-----it Is Not An Exact Science--there Is Some Hit And Miss As To How You Crush The Pinion Collar--mostly Ran 488--514 And 538 Rears For The 1/8 Mile ---had 336 Rear In Sometimes For The Winter Months--would Only Race From A 20 Mile An Hour Roll With Those---won A Lot---but I Was There Racing Back In The Day --with My Brand New 425hp--409 Super Sport---it Was So-- Such The Thing To Be Doing Then--was The Fastest Street Car -on Crossbay Bulivard--at The Big Bow Wow --one Summer-- Ahhhh--- The Memories Run Deep--enjoy Regards Tony Lentini---had Whilaway -written Across My Two Front Fenders Of My Burgandy 1963 Supersport- Some Guys Did The Name Thing Then---the White Lady--the Outcast--the Farmer Were Just A Few--all Nasty Running Chevys With Reputations That Proceeded Them

Tony,

Love hearing the old stories how the Island once was.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

JrStk

It was a very common trick to install 30 Spline Mopar spider gears in the stock Posi carrier. Then you could install much stronger 30 spline axles. Here's something else interesting.......I was reading one of my old Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine from the mid-Sixities and it had a great Technical article by Bill Jenkins on how to make those early Chevy rear axles survive the rigors of drag racing. It was VERY interesting! Get this........The Grump would drill and tap into a very strategic and thought-out location in the front of the cast iron center section and install a 1/2-20 fine thread bolt with bronze brazing built up on the tip. He would tighten the bolt up against the ring gear itself lightly and then back it off and set it with something like .005 clearance. This along with carrier cap braces and Service Package spider gears was what he used in his '62 409's and even Old Reliable IV, his famous '63 Z-11 car. It'd be interesting to see if that modified center section is still in the car.

Don't know if its still in OR IV but I know its no longer on OR II. The original rear is long gone.
Doug