427 Z-11 rears

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Colchester Ct.

:eek:JrStk
My Machinist is Dave Labrun he has a shop L&L Machine here in Groton Ct.:cool: He is currently the President of New Breed Drag Club. Back in the early to mid 70's he was Champ in one the Production Classes, which one I don't know I have been a round track guy since 1960.:? But I do remember all the local drag wars between Billy Wambles Corvette and Tasca's Mustangs.
Next time I see Dave i'll see what hes got from the day.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

If you are trying to figure out why the question was asked and it then died? The person asking the question rebuilds and sells rear ends at high prices on both Ebay and Craigslist. He buys up every rear end in the area of any value for resale. I have no idea if he has any classic cars of his own but would guess he was trying to figure out how to get a higher price by replicating the rear end for a Z11.

Bill

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you are trying to figure out why the question was asked and it then died? The person asking the question rebuilds and sells rear ends at high prices on both Ebay and Craigslist. He buys up every rear end in the area of any value for resale. I have no idea if he has any classic cars of his own but would guess he was trying to figure out how to get a higher price by replicating the rear end for a Z11.

Bill

Thank you for pointing that out Bill.

I know there were many "tricks" on the rear ends and the whole car for that matter that made them run hard and stay together back in the day. The guys that knew these secrets kept them to themselves because they had put the blood sweat & tears into learning those "tricks". The "tricks" were shared or traded with good friends that were honorable.

Those secret "tricks" are going to be lost in history because of guys like you're talking about Bill. If what you're saying is true the guy doesn't give a d@mn about the cars he is just after the almighty buck. I don't blame the guys that were there back in the day for not sharing the knowlege they have.

Dave

Speed

Supporting Member 1

Bill

ok

in that case...we used a corvair transaxle under our Z-11 ( hell, at the rate we're going with Z-11 conversations here & there..Chev will have offered Z-11 Corvettes) :roll:roll

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For the life of me, I cannot find that Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine that had the "stop-bolt" modifications that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Anybody else here have a collection of 1968 (maybe '69) Super Stock mags where they can check the Technical articles in the Table of Contents and find this. It's about a 3-4 page article and was concerning the construction of a Junior Stocker and Bill Jenkins was recalling what he did to make his rear axle "live" behind his 409 and Z-11 race cars. I set that damn magazine off to the side in a special place for future reference and now I've forgotten where that special place was! Anyway, thanks for looking and I'll keep digging here to!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Don't feel bad, I am always walking across the back yard to my garage only to forget why I was going there in the 1st place:dunno:scratch.Hey Ken (WENGINE) I hear that happens to you a lot also.:crazyI hear that you are almost as old as me.:roll I think that goes with the territory.:cry:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Mark, I will take a look at my collection and see if I have the Super Stock & Drag issue you are talking about. Are you sure of the year? '68 or '69. Give me a few days to see if I can find it. I'll PM you when I do.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a 1968-dated issue, but possibly 1969. Thanks for checking and I'm still digging here also!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Mark, I looked through my SS & Drag Issues for '68 & '69 and I came up with a article on Bill Jenkins SS/C Camaro about 5 pages ( 18 thru 22) in the January '68 issue and also a article about "Dyno Don " Nicholson's '61 Impala 409 that broke away fromthe tow bar and took out the '57 tow car and the Impala in the Oct '68 issue and an article about Hayden Proffitts 409 '62 bubbletop in the Sept '68 issue. didn't come up with an article about Bill Jenkens Jr,stocker though. I am missing July '68 & December '68 & Feb to Sept.in '69 Hopefully that will narrow down your search. Sorry I couldn't help more than that:dunno:cheers

JrStk

I have very few issues of s/s. If anyone comes across the issue, I'd love to read the article also.
Thanks
Doug

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
If anyone's interested I am offering all my SS & Drag issues to any 348-409 member for .50cents each + shipping.I have a lot of them and would like to see them go to someone who would enjoy the read and & pictures. If interested send me a PM and I will get an actual count & years for you. Thanks:deal:cheers

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Z-11 12 Bolt worked great

Ahhh, remember that old 12 bolt well. I took it out of a 60's Chevelle, added a Moroso posi pig with ratios from 456 to 513 and Strange axles. A one piece custom driveshaft just fit through the X-frame. I bent a shaft changing the slicks once. What ratio did you get with the old set-up? Never had one bit of problem with that deal. Oh, had to relieve the front wheelwell a tad.

Wild Bill

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
5:13 ratio, will be replaced, and we even have the reverse manual valve body and trans brake turbo 400 from ATI,small converter maybe 4000-4500?, does that sound like your automatic or the next owner's automatic?

kevin