540ci W Motor

John Beck

When testing a new combination it is important that the engine repeats back up pulls and also responds to changes. It is also vary important to keep an eye on valve lash as it is a window to how the valve train is settling in and will tell you if something is not right.
Four pulls into the session between doing cartwheels in the parking lot we were seeing 830+ HP and 680+lbs. ft. with promise of more to come with some timing sweeps. Not bad on my dyno with virtually no corrections to fluff up the numbers.
We pulled 3 degrees out of the total timing and she fell off a little bit so we put it back and she did not repeat. Pulled the valve covers and checked lash. Found some loose ex. valves and upon further investigation found loose ex. seat in number 1 cyl.
Things could of gone a lot worse had we not checked and I don't think anything got hurt.
The heads will come off this afternoon and go back to the cyl. head guy that was supposed to change the seats when he did them. Everybody was aware of the inherent problem with these heads and Jack and I were told that it was addressed.
I have a lot of time in this engine making sure everything clears properly and was a little upset at first but I am sure the owner is even more disappointed .
We will fix it and get back to testing soon.
Never underestimate the importance of testing and tuning your engine no matter if its a stock resto engine or a one off beast like this one.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, my first thought is that was a nice save. You guys really dodged a bullet by finding the problem before it did any real damage. Way to go! :beer
This just re-enforces the importance of running an engine like this in on the dyno.

I know this is disappointing but on the brighter side, the engine is making great power and it shouldn't take too long to fix the seats.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hate to hear ya'll had the trouble. I wonder how many engines are going to have a failure before LWA decides to start correcting the valve seat issue BEFORE they allow heads to leave their shop?????

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One of my Pontiac buddies on the dyno between pulls caught a water leak(too much porting) when just starting to spin it over for another pull , beat hydraulicing a cylinder. Great you caught it before it hurt something.

Not a catastrophe. good news actually.
Somehow, I bet the only people more upset about the setback, are Lamar and Rob Waldon.
They'll get it.

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hell of a save! Sucks to have issues like this but I'm sure it will all get sorted out.

Out of curiosity what are the issues with the seats falling out? Not enough interference fit? Aluminum going soft or quality of aluminum in general? Just trying to understand better is all.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree on the great save. My hope would be not enough interference fit since that would be the easiest fix. Anyway, good starting numbers. can't wait to see it back on the dyno again.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I thought I had heard of seat problems with the Lamar heads. Quite a shame. I too am glad it was caught before any more damage was done. Fantastic numbers on the Dyno! Can't wait to hear the fix, and more pulls.

Rob Walden

Supporting Member 1
LWA congratulate you on the 540 build. Sounds like good numbers. Sorry to hear about the seat trouble! Its too bad that Jack Gibbs has not came on here to tell everybody the whole story about those seats. Our shop did not install the seats in the heads Jack had them installed by the guy who ported them for him. More than likely the ported them and undermined the seats like the other set that was mentioned. When that is the case the seats will heat up and cannot dissipate the heat and this will make them fall out. Or they just were not installed tight enough to begin with. Just wanted to set the story straight since we were the ones getting thrown under the bus.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the post,Rob.I''ve been following this post from the beginning,and to your companys defence,no mention was directly made as to who installed the seats.

John Beck

No these heads did not come out of your shop this way Rob. At least I was told another cyl. head guru whom I will not name was supposed to have checked and changed the seats. I didn't mean to point the finger at anyone and I will stay with that policy. I am looking forward to finish testing on this combination.

Rob Walden

Supporting Member 1
Thanks John sounds like you are going to have a very nice engine setup. I cant wait to see the tube chassis car. I talked to Jack earlier today and I told him I don't mind taking a beating :hide if it was something we did but I hate to if it was not our fault. I thank you for clearing it up:beer. If we can help you just give us a call and we would be glad to assist in any way possible.