58 Bowtie Overdrive crossmembers

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anybody used one of these Bowtie Overdrive's crossmembers in their 58?? I've been waiting over 2 hours for them to call me right back. Now I know I'm not the brightest light on the christmas tree, but it looks to me like the one I have is made backwards and upside down. The trans mounting plate is supposed to favor the drivers side (IMO) and the angle of the plate should not be angled down toward the front of the car as aren't our engines at an angle up at the front?? I could have fabbed one in the 6 hrs I've spent (not counting waiting for them to call me right back). Anyone got pictures of one they have used?:mad:bang

:crazy

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Mike, If Eckers picture is actually a 58 they do not have the 5/8" offset closer to the drivers side needed. Maybe it's a picture of 59 up. It does have better clearance for the pan though, pretty close to how I would have done it. Will wait and see how the revised one fits from Bowtie. They were very nice when they called back. Probably a lot nicer than I would have been after the e-mail I sent them. I wish I had told them to just send the pieces and I would fab them to the car. Sadly, can't do much on the car till I resolve this.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They just replied, "the rvised are not ready yet" they are"on their way to powder coat" . Told them send it uncoated or in pieces.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bowtie is usually very good. I am surprised to hear this Ray. I will give them a call in the morning.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bowtie is usually very good. I am surprised to hear this Ray. I will give them a call in the morning.

What did they have to say?? I cut the one I have apart, flipped it over and welded the plate on the other side and walla, it fits, although I need to check the angles on the driveshaaft.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
just a note; I built in about 3/4 " of up and down adjustmeent into the crossmember as the car is not resting on it's wheels and frame not tightened or shimmed yet. Another reason is that the Energy Suspension trans mount is about 1/8" thicker due to the pre load bar,

Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well it arrived today, looks like it might work, looks a lot more like the eckler one, some day I'll put it in place of the one I cut up and got it to fit, the one they said they didn't want back but sent a return label.

:crazy

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's an update. Their updated version is wrong too. Offste right but mounting plate upside down. 2 inch gap between mount and trans mount, would put driveshaft at bottom of tunnel. Just going to use the one i cut up and redone.

Ray

2MNYTYS

Wow, this sounds like what I just went through with them as well with my '62. I'm not a very satisfied customer either.