'58 Corvette with W-engine

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Found these photos online elsewhere. Don't have a back story for the car, beyond I believe it's in Sweden, however. Just thought it was neat.

Attachments

• DSC09520.JPG
    DSC09520.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC09527.JPG
    DSC09527.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC09530.JPG
    DSC09530.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC09578.JPG
    DSC09578.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 80

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
the car GM should have built

Several years ago in Hot Rod Mag. there was a article titled :The Car that GM Should Have Built". Was a 1962 Vett with a 409/409 setting between the rails. Don't remember who owned it or where, but it sure was cool!!!!:cool:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Has anyone ever heard the reason why chevy never put a W in one of thier vetts. It obviouslly fits:dunno:dunno Very curious should have been a no brainer:scratch

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
GM should have offered the Z-11 engine as an option in the 63 Stingrays.:grumble:
They would have been legendary.:beerbang

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That would have been a real hot seller I'll bet !!......... can you imagine that HP in a '63 vette !!

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
One around here...

There's a fellow around mid-Missouri that has a 1959 Corvette with a dual quad 409, did the swap some 20 years ago. His son has brought it to a few Cruise-ins. Not a restored car, but open that hood and people's eyes do pop :).

Zora went on record as not being favorable to the BBC, something about weight distribution. He figured he could get 550 HP out of his small blocks back then, which is reportedly what the 1963 Grand Sport had with the aluminum block 377 and six Webers. Not too many of those engines around, even the Grand Sports often raced with other engine combinations. That was short lived, due to the ban on racing from 1963.

I have a real soft spot for the 1963 Grand Sport look. Unfortunately the five originals are "priceless", but they do make faithful replica packages. My dream would be to recreate the 1963 GS using the 409. Of course it will have to be an aluminum block/heads, etc. I've checked out one of the better manufacturers in Ohio, have the correct frame and suspension, and then would need a Bob Walla engine when the time comes :).

Cheers!
TomK

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I figured that the weight issue was the reason. I do remember seeing a photo of Duntov driving in a prototype 1959 409 Biscayne SS. Yes, he wanted the cheapest (lightest) body style for the Super Sport, but the bean counters thought they could make more money adding it to the top of the Impala line. I tried looking for a photo, but no luck.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Duntov was a Le Mans type racer, not into drag racing. He saw light weight and high RPM as the answer. The W was better suited for straight line drag racing, not exactly his cup of tea.