58 Floor board question

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Does anybody know what these holes were for? There was a metal disc welded to the bottom of the original floor boards that we transferred to the new floor pans I have not yet drilled out the holes in the pans yet, but I was wondering what these holes were original for? My guess is possibly locating pins when the floor was originally assembled. The parking brake cable does NOT go through them. photo 2(46).JPG photo 1(50).JPG

bobs409

Administrator
My 63 has them too. Mine had rubber or plastic plugs in the holes so I transferred it all over to the new floor. (holes were already there in the new floor) No clue what it was used for. :bonk

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I may have the answer. When I restored my Wife's 65 Skylark, I found those holes and matching holes through the frame rails. My Buick assembly manual shows the rather long "D" handle pins called alignment pins that were obviously used at the body drop station to get the body in position for mount bolts. The reinforcement around the hole allows for some manhandling without tearing up the tin. Makes sense to me.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I don't think my car has the matching holes in the frame.
Looks like the X frame cars used a frame mount hole for the alignment pin. Because the 65 Buick Skylark has a perimeter frame, I recall the holes being in the outer frame rails. It has been 20 years since I restored that car, my recall is a little fuzzy as to the exact locations!