58 Impala (Canadian Built) cowl tag questions.

Al T

Hi all. I'm not new to the forum, just here with a new name. I had posted years ago as 39coupe as I had a really rough 55 Nomad that I was planning on putting a rebuilt 348 tri-power I had into. Both the car and that 348 are long gone, as is the 39 Coupe............. hence the new name.

Anyway, I've recently purchased a '58 Impala and I'm trying to decipher the cowl tag. I realize I can get the info from the GM Historical group and I have left them a message but have not heard back from them and supposedly takes about 6 weeks once I do order the package.

The car is currently "American Graffiti" White with a really nice custom interior and 348 tri-power with iron Powerglide.

The trim code is 854 which according to the decoder is "Gray, Black and Red. Material type is: Cloth & Vinyl"
From what I can see that color interior only came with exterior color Onyx Black, Rio Red or Snowcrest white.
What has me confused is the paint color on the cowl tag which is 1807, which I can't find anywhere.

The other thing I'm wondering is on the VIN plate it has engine code 9V91219. Does this tell me anything about the original engine installed? It is a 1847 car so was a V8.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Here are a few photos as I know it didn't happen if there are no photos....... lol

54FDD38A-F4BE-4529-9EEC-770DDBA2D68B_zpsuaodtcrw.jpg 80BB2D3E-5F02-47B6-980A-9CD254BD0AC4_zps9l4ur8w2.jpg
0712B23C-6581-4FF7-86BA-DF68092C7D9A_zps0cvs6pug (1).jpg AE494030-C534-40F7-AC38-A005F5A6AD55_zps2phozqqd.jpg 5807C277-BF1F-49CE-B276-AE4A91EC8443_zpshj1on9hc (1).jpg

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I can't really help with the Canadian info, but as a curiosity the 9V91219 coding for the engine was used for V8 engines exported to Australia via Canada.
most small blocks that I have seen that were sent out here during the late 50's and early 60's had an engine number *V***** stamped on the engine pad, our VIN plates attached to the fire wall did not record engine number.

Al T

That's weird. It'll be interesting to see what the GM Heritage Package shows. If the car was exported, would they still have data on it? It would be ironic if it was exported and ended up making it's way back to Canada.

VIN.jpg

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
From the Trifive Chevy site specific to 55-57 but should still be informative for your 58.

In 1956, the large tag (referred to in most GM Canadian literature as the Vehicle Serial Plate) only had the vehicle and engine serial number stamped on it, with the rest of the information, along now with B.S.O. (Body Special Option) numbers, recorded on the small tag (the Body Serial Plate). This held true for 1957 as well, although, as previously noted, the Vehicle Serial Plate was smaller than in the previous 2 years.

MODEL IDENTIFICATION BY SERIAL NUMBER

With the commencement of the 1956 production, the vehicle serial plate, located on the right front of the cowl, did not include the body serial, trim or paint combination numbers. A separate body serial plate, located on the left front of the cowl, now shows body type, body serial, paint trim and body special option numbers. 1957 production will be identified in a similar manner.

The information on these tags is broken down as follows:

Body Style

Model
B/A

Utility Sedan 12118
2 Door Sedan 1211 1011 1011D
Delray Club Coupe 1011A
4 Door Sedan 1219 1019 1019D
2 Door Wagon 1263F 1063F
4 Door Wagon 1062F 1062DF
Convertible 1067D
2 Door Hardtop 1037 1037D
4 Door Hardtop 1039 1039D
Sedan Delivery 1271

You will notice that the Nomad is not listed above. That is because none were produced in Canada. All Nomads sold by Canadian Dealers were imported from the U.S.

Vehicle Serial Number

Looking at the 55 tag shown in Fig. #1, the serial number 51011800967 can be broken down as follows:

5 1011 8 00967

5 = Model Year 1955

1011 = Body Style, 2 Door Sedan

8 = 8 Cylinder Engine

00967 = Vehicle Production Number

Although the 1011 in the serial number only indicates that it is a 2 Door Sedan, by checking the Model number on the same tag, the stamping 10-11D tells us that this car should be a Bel Air, not a 210.

Engine Serial Number

All Canadian-produced cars had their engine serial numbers also stamped on one of the tags. While this does make it a lot easier to determine if your car has its original engine, the engine codes were not broken down to the extent that the ones on American cars were. For instance, if your cowl tag indicates that your 57 came with an automatic transmission, there is no way of telling whether it was originally equipped with a Powerglide or Turboglide. Similarly, other than by checking fuel line routing, etc., if your car was V-8 equipped, you cannot tell for sure whether it was 2 Barrel, 4 Barrel, Duals or Fuel Injected.

Again looking at the 55 tag in Fig. #1, the engine serial number 9V17014 breaks down like this:

9 V 17014

9 = Automatic Transmission. If the engine serial number does not begin with a "0", the car was originally equipped with either a standard or an overdrive transmission.

V = V-8. If the "V" is not in the sequence, the car was originally equipped with a six cylinder.

17014 = Engine production number.

Listed below are the first Engine production number for each year and type of engine:

1955 6 cylinder = 52501

1955 8 cylinder = V2001

1956 6 cylinder = V30001

1957 6 cylinder = 199001

1957 8 cylinder = V50001

PRODUCTION FIGURES & OTHER TIDBITS OF USEFUL INFORMATION

Unfortunately the production figures available from G.M. of Canada are not broken down by model or even body style. I have listed below the production figures for each year and also the number of cars imported from the U.S. You will notice that the figures for 1956 differ substantially from those for the other two years. This was due to a bitter 4 1/2 month strike at the plant, lasting from September 9. 1955 right through until February 22, 1956 that very nearly resulted in G.M. canceling Canadian production for the 56 model year entirely!

Year Built Imported

1955 79,030 4,668

1956 48,556 12,017

1957 79,318 324

Totals 206,904 17,009

Besides the obvious differences that I have outlined in this article, there were a host of smaller, subtle differences that set the Canadian-produced car apart. These differences are far too numerous to detail them all now, but a few of the more significant ones included:

- Electrical components such as starters and generators were manufactured in Canada by McKinnon Industries of St. Catherines, Ontario and are identified by a green tag.

- Horns have a flatter profile with "Autolite" embossed on the cover. Some people swear they have a different tone as well, although I personally can't tell.

- All Canadian built cars had one piece bumpers and all 57 rear bumper ends were the blank variety.

- Many of the cast components (ie: Blocks, Head, Wheel Cylinders) were made in Canada and are easily identified by the "CANADA" cast into the piece.

Canadian Cowl Tags

Trim & Paint Codes and

Body Special Options

Trim & Paint Codes

The interior trim codes on Canadian produced Classics were the same as the ones on American cars, the only notable difference being that it appears that you could get some paint/trim combinations that were not available in the U.S. I have recently seen a Canadian produced 57 Convertible, paint code 1001, which is Onyx Black, with trim 677, which is the Ivory & Silver interior.

Paint, however, is quite a different matter. While there were some colours common to both sides of the border, there were also colors during all three model years that were available only in Canada. To further confuse matters, some colors available in both countries were known by a different name in Canada, and some colors known by the same name in both countries were two different shades of the same color. Two good examples of this are 56 Crocus Yellow, which has a decidedly greenish tinge to it compared to the U.S. colour and the 57 Highland Green, which is a much darker shade of green than usual. Also, all Canadian produced cars were painted in enamel, not nitiocellulose lacquer.

Last edited by Bob W; 10-26-2008 at 04:01 AM..
user_offline.gif

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That 9V number would be stamped on your engine block and will be on your Historical info. , it will likely tell you which motor and transmission your car came with and how many of that model were sold new. Mine took about a week or 2 to arrive after ordering it by phone. Usually when you call, a real person answers.

Nice car you have there.

My 62 Bel Air was Ermine white, trim code was a letter C, not sure what years had letters and numbers.

Last edited:

Al T

Thanks.

I'm away on business for a week. I'll take a look at the stamp pad when I get back. Stamp pad on a 348 is in the same place as a later small block?

Al T

Just received the information. The car was sold in Vancouver and appears it spent it's entire life in BC as that's where the previous owner got it from.
It turns out 1807 is Silver Grey Metallic with Dover White roof. That sounds like a really nice color combination. Would anyone have a photo of one in that color combo?

Thanks in advance.