58 impala with 409

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Hello,
New to the group and look forward to learning about this 409 I now own. I am curently not getting it to start, new plugs, coil has power, new fuel . Could it be the ignition switch?View attachment 134830
Welcome to the site ……….
A little information on as to what happens when you turn the key switch, will give everybody a little bit of an idea of where you’re at……Cars history……..been sitting a long time……???

Keith 58

It just turns over with no signs of life, new plugs, new fuel tank and fuel, I even tried starting fluid but nothing, I have power to coil and plugs spark when checked.....

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
It just turns over with no signs of life, new plugs, new fuel tank and fuel, I even tried starting fluid but nothing, I have power to coil and plugs spark when checked.....
I don’t know if it was completely out of gas before but if you just replace the tank you might need to prime the carburetor are you sure you’ve got the inlet and outlet at the fuel pump correct you are getting gas to the carb if you are and you have spark I would think you were probably looking at timing……. And it sounds like if all that’s going on I would think that your ignition switch must be good

Well Known Member
I had the similar problem on my car recently. Turns out it was the key wire to the coil. Bad connection.

James jones

Well Known Member
I’ll bet it is a mover. It looks exceptionally clean. Could be no gas is getting to the carb. If you are getting gas to the carb maybe a little starter fluid will help get it going. Check the timing while you are at it.

Keith 58

I have tried starter fluid, I think it may be the ignition switch. She is definitely a roller, runs good normally.

Reactions: 327

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site Keith 58. Sounds like a timing issue, but if it ran before the fuel tank replacement and you haven't touched the distributor or plug wires, then it's a head scratcher. If you had the distributor out, I would recheck number one tdc on compression stroke and where the rotor is pointing.

Keith 58

I did not remove distributor, it was on a dyno 3 weeks ago so compression is good. Just had dirty carbs so I replaced fuel tank and installed in line filter. Carbs were supposed to get rebuilt this week but she won't fire up. Engine is in a 58 impalla

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
So just pour a little gas in carburetors if it'snot getting gas on its own it will fire up briefly for a few seconds. If it does you know then to check fuel pump and from there back to tank like cracked fuel hoses. It could be also the accelerator pump in carburetor not shooting gas when you pump accelerator. If choke is not working makes it hard starting also .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Keith 58.You stated that you have fire to the coil,does it have spark from the coil while cranking? You havewhat appears to be an MSD ''ready to run'' dist.Those tthings are noted ffor module failure.If you don't have fire during cranking,I'd suggest starting there.People have by-passed the module,hooked up the pick uup coil to a MSD 6 OR 6AL. and solved the issue.

Keith 58

I installed a new coil this morning, have spart at the plugs but still no start, I messed with the ignition switch a few time and got a brief start, I think k I found my problem. New one on the way, should have it in a few days. Thanks for all your ideas. I will let.you all know if that was the problem for sure.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I know in your earlier post you said you had spark at the spark plug…..
It’s gonna sound awfully obvious might wanna double check the direction you put in your fuel filter