'58 rear end & suspension work

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi guys. I'm sort of new to the forum as far as posting, though I've lurked for quite awhile. I'm slowly slugging away at my '58 Delray SDL. Anyway, I'm starting to think I might want to put a bit more motor in her, just to have a little fun, maybe get it to run in the 12's or so - probably a 454 or a big small-block. A trip to the track once in a while, but really just building a street-cruiser. So my question is: Does anyone out there have any advice on how to keep the rear end together and the rear suspension together and get it to hook-up? I've got an email & voicemail in to Aubrey for his advice and whether or not his axles will fit the '58 housing - hopefully I'll hear back soon. My next concern is beefing up the suspension. I'm thinking that I could have a qualified chassis guy fabricate a new stronger mount on the pumpkin for the "wishbone", and then we could beef up the wishbone itself and box the lower arms, and add poly bushings. I would much rather work with the stock housing if possible. I definitely wouldn't want to ladder-bar the car, I will put a lot of street-miles on it (Power Tour, Goodguys events out-of-state, etc.). A conventional 4-link would certainly work, but I would be very reluctant to cut the floor to make it fit (I assume I would have to). Maybe an street-rod type of 4-link would fit, or???
Any ideas appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
OK, I just spoke with Aubrey. He gave me a bunch of ideas that made sense. One thing he mentioned was that the '60-style 2-upper arm rear end's upper control arms will actually bolt to the '58s frame mounts where the wishbone mounts, meaning you could just about bolt in a '60 rear & suspension with some minor fabrication (panhard mount, etc.), though the '60 is a bit wider. He gave me a lot to think about, too much to print here now - I'll keep you updated on my plan as it unfolds. Any ideas still appreciated.
Thanks a bunch to Aubrey for taking the time to share his knowledge and brainstorm with me - a true gentleman.

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
i have a 61 rear end housing, axles and one upper arm. also panard bar mounts. FREE. not far from chicago.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I have a best of 1.701 60' time with a stock type suspension. The lowers are boxed with polygraphite bushings. Im still using the single upper arm, But, It is a adjustable arm with heim joints. Just measured the distance on the old one and had a generic one made locally. It is not curved like the factory one, just a straight bar with a heim joint at each end. No troubles with it hitting the housing. The panhard bar is just like the upper arm but is made out of alluminum, with heims at each end to center the rear for tire clearance. All very basic and made to fit the stock brackets.
The rear Is a 12 bolt with all moser internals so not much help there. I know there is some rear end tricks on here. Im sure some will chime in on those.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
goat boy, I've emailed you. Thanks again.

bubbletop1961, thanks for the input, sounds good.

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear from someone who has put the '59-'64 - style rear end in the '58, or any other drag-race rear tips for the '58.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi guys. I figured I'd update this thread as well as my "X-Frame" thread.

We are going to stick with the '58 style housing and beef everything up, and use a 9" F#%d. I would prefer to use the 10-bolt original, but by the time I get a stock-posi (so I can ditch the 17-spline axles) and all of the good parts from Aubrey I'll have put more money in the 10-bolt than I would in the 9". And I have to get rid of the 17-spline axles, because now I'm leaning towards a 496 - too risky. I'll keep you posted on what exactly I do.

Thanks again for all of the tips, keep 'em coming, and to Aubrey for his wisdom as well.