'58 sedan delivery w/AC

68cst396

A couple of months ago I was looking through a junkyard and saw an old SD. When I looked inside I saw AC vents in the dash. I knew that had to be a rare option on these sedan deliveries so I bought the car.
Here is a little info on the car. It was a flat gray color, it had side chrome on the fenders and quarters, but not on the doors. It was a 283 car. It had AC and a Full Width Seat. Has anyone seen another like this or have any ideas what this car may have been used for. Here are some pics.
Dsc02411.jpg

Dsc02413.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As a special order vehicle my guess is a government or fleet order vehicle. Possibly Navy with the gray paint but AC would be unusual for a military vehicle, maybe Forest Service or some other agency. GSA cars were also gray.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
58 Sd

Friend of mine has one just like yours, his came from the Federal Forest Service.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

bobs409

Administrator
What I want to know is why we don't have junkyards like yours here in Pa.!!!! :dunno

Sure wish I could buy whole cars from junkyards in this condition like the two you posted. :clap Around here, I'm lucky if they get one in per year that looks like it was buried for 10 years. :eek: Got plenty of S10's here though! :evil :stooges

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Junkyards????

What's a Junkyard? Oh, I know. That's the part of our back yard, where I keep all my car part's, and tire's. Ha, Ha. Unfortunately junkyards are a thing of the past, in my area. The one that is still in business has late model JUNK. It seems like junkyards disappeared the same time Drive-in theaters did. Skip

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A couple of months ago I was looking through a junkyard and saw an old SD. When I looked inside I saw AC vents in the dash. I knew that had to be a rare option on these sedan deliveries so I bought the car.
Here is a little info on the car. It was a flat gray color, it had side chrome on the fenders and quarters, but not on the doors. It was a 283 car. It had AC and a Full Width Seat. Has anyone seen another like this or have any ideas what this car may have been used for. Here are some pics.
Dsc02411.jpg

Dsc02413.jpg

Just wondering what your plans for this car???:dunno
Ray

68cst396

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Let me start with a little more information.

I really love these old chevys and many times on the weekend I may just ride and look for old cars. Everyone thinks I am crazy for buying all of these cars, but they are dissappering at a very quick rate. As high as the scrap prices are now, in a few more years there will be no cars to find. They will have all gone to the crusher. SO BUY WHAT YOU CAN NOW!!!!

This car was found just by luck. The guy who had the '58 has many old chevys. He actually bought all of the old chevys that a junkyard had when they went out of business. This in only one of several cars I bought from him. I also bought 1 '60 2dr hardtop, 2 '60 4dr hardtops, and a '58 brookwood for parts.

There is another guy about 100 miles from me that has about 50 acres of cars all pre '75 and mostly intact, but it is hard to buy anything from him. Most of the cars have trees grown around them and you cannot move them. I have seen everything from '50's cadillacs to '71 chevelles there. He even had some cars with 348s still hanging in them.

I know all of you guys that live up north have the salt problem to deal with. Even in the southeast we have some rust, but it is not accelerated to the point where everything including the frame slowly dissappears. The floorpans are usually the worst parts on any of my cars, but that is an easy fix.

As far as the sedan delivery, I don't know. I like original cars. If the car had been just a plain delray without the options and just a 6cyl it may have been modified. This car will probably be restored to original one day. It has many projects in line ahead of it though.

sdb348

hey bob

I no of 4 in eastern Pa . 2 near Halzelton 1 near Reading 1 off of 442 by the Power plant